DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD Empty
PostSubject: NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD   NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 1:44 am

Many films on laserdisc have never had a dvd release The Keep being one of the classics that still hasnt had a release despite its huge cult following. I have quite a few such films in my collection some good and some not so good. I watched 10 mins of bad blood before turning it off , my wife chose to watch the film but we both decided we didnt like it. I suppose if you like martial arts action films then you might enjoy this but its just not my type of film although I did check some vhs reviews on amazon before I watched it 'THIS IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BEST ACTION MOVIES YOU NEVER HEARD OF'. so Im sure if you like the film type its probably quite good , 3 reviews all 5 star.
I then put on another film Sonny boy which also is not available on dvd , this film was better if a little odd. I chose to watch the film after reading some very good reviews on IMDB. I also read that it is in the Psychotronic Film Guide and ranks as one of the top ten films of the '80's
The film is about a baby who is kidnaped by a petty crook and his transvestite girlfriend. They cage the child, cut out his tongue and train him to steal and kill at their command. Years later sonny boy escapes and embarks on a bloody rampage. The film stars David Carradine , Paul l Smith (midnight express) and Brad Dourif (childs play).
Well the film was quite good and I can see why it has a cult following 'There is no film quite like Sonny Boy'
There must be 100s of films that are not on dvd and now with the arrival of blue ray it looks unlikely that many of these will ever be available on any other format other than laserdisc & vhs.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
https://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD   NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 2:20 am

After watching Westworld the other night I read into the sequel, Futureworld. Apparently it's never had a DVD release either.

Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Re: NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD   NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 2:30 am

I would like Future World as a companion piec e for my Westword LD. I remember seeing it at the cinema. Then the very short lived TV series.

But THE KEEP is one I'd really like, it's a 'chaser' for a lot of people.

Nice ones.

PS Paul Smith was also 'The Beast Rabban' in DUNE.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD   NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 2:53 am

I forgot about this one. Of course I doubt we'll ever see it on DVD:

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD   NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:16 am

Futureworld has now had a dvd release in 2009 and is available on amazon.

I was watching Leonard Nimoy Demonstrates the Magnavision on youtube just the other day and didnt know that it was on laserdisc.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD   NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:38 am

Looks like it's been out in most of the world for the past few years but was only released this year in the US, possibly why all the sites still say it's not been released on DVD. Sorry I missed that.

As for the Nimoy demo, as far as I know it was a demo laserdisc they had in stores to show off the technology. So it was on laserdisc but is hard to find. I've heard the second side rots a lot too.
Back to top Go down
laserkb

laserkb

PostSubject: Re: NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD   NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 6:28 am

One of the most astonishing "conspicuous by its absence" titles from the DVD schedules is THE UNINVITED.

Rated as "Quite probably the movies' best ghost story" (William K Everson, 'Classics of the Horror Film'), this was a top attraction in 1944 and is still pretty good now. It's not as if it's a lost film - it was from Paramount with big stars, etc. but it seems that the company has no wish to make it available to DVD collectors.

Another point to bear in mind is that, even where a lot of movies HAVE now been issued on DVD, they're not always presented as on the laserdisc. For example, most of Ray Harryhausen's work on DVD is cropped (as in its original theatrical presentation" (they claim) but on laserdisc these are usually full frame versions - and the differences really do make a difference. There's a shot at the beginning of EARTH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS, for example, where you see a farmer on a tractor at the bottom of the image (which is mostly sky with a 'flying saucer' passing on through) but on the cropped DVD most of the ground is missing and even the bottom of the tractor wheels are cropped. It may have been seen like this in theatres but, as an image, it looks wrong. There are many such examples in DVDs with people's feet missing and the tops of their heads sliced off. The framing and composition are ruined by such unnecessary cropping. When you think of all the work that goes into these shots from the director, DP and editor it's a shame that they can be so 'compromised'. One of the worst examples is the Peter Gabriel concert film, SECRET WORLD LIVE, filmed in full screen but insensitively cropped for DVD. The only way to see the entire image is on laserdisc.

Of course, it works the other way too, where a widescreen movie is cropped at the sides for DVD to make it more 'friendly' for a widescreen TV or monitor. Infamous examples of this shocking practice are A BOY AND HIS DOG, FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD and, at least in one DVD version, the Hammer version of SHE where two actors speaking across the Cinemascope frame are excised to the point where only their noses can be seen talking to each other! (I exaggerate slightly, but if you watch this edition - it's in the 'Ultimate Hammer Collection' - you'll see what I mean.)

Finally, there are a few 'cult' movies that ARE on DVD, such as DOCTOR BLOOD'S COFFIN and RED PLANET MARS, but they're from small exploitation companies, like Cheezy Flicks, which use laserdiscs as their mastering source, so they don't really count, do they? Stick to the LDs - they're worth it.
Back to top Go down
AvanteProject

PostSubject: Re: NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD   NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 8:00 am

I'm pretty sure the following haven't been released on DVD

The Lawnmower Man has had several DVD releases but as far I know they've all been pretty lousy, with average sound & picture quality and no etras.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD   NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 3:36 am

FRIGHTENERS SIGNATURE BOXSET
With the Signature Collection LD set, fans received the ultimate edition of The Frighteners, which went on to become extremely rare and sought after by many laserdisc collectors around the world, often selling for as high as £300.00 on Ebay shortly after its release. It was released at a time when laserdisc production was starting to dry up, and Pioneer printed only a very small batch of boxes (500-1000). When fans became aware of how wonderful this set was everyone began snatching it up, hence the high prices people now pay on Ebay for the few that are willing to part with it. Even today with so many people claiming laserdisc is dead the set still sells in the £150-£200 range on Ebay. Why? Well, mainly because Universal hasn't released this superb special edition onto DVD, and it's unclear if they ever will. Even if they do, do you really think the 4 1/2 hour documentary will make it onto the DVD? Look what they did to the Jaws: Special Edition DVD - they took the 2 hour documentary from the previous laserdisc box set and trimmed it down to an hour for the DVD. If a Speilberg movie - one that obviously made the studio lots of money - gets its documentary cut down to an hour, does The Frighteners - one that lost money for the studio - have any chance of being released onto DVD with all of the laserdisc supplements?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD   NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD EmptyWed May 04, 2011 5:24 am

I recently watched a made for tv film called Tracks of a killer and found it to be quite entertaining , this has never had a dvd release.

Patricks's promotion has been delayed another five years and David is voted by the company board to continue his leadership. Patrick thinking he hasnt got the promotion is then invited by David to spend time with their wives at a winter cabin. Bitter about the promotion Patrick Sabotages Davids snow moblie only for it to back fire when Patricks wife decides to come along and chooses the faulty snow mobile resulting in her death. After the accident David goes for help leaving the psychotic Patrick alone with his wife. The remainder of the film turns out to be a cat and mouse game between Davids wife Claire and Patrick.
Kelly LeBrock and Wolf Larson star in what is quite a decent watchable film.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD   NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:04 am

One laserdisc worth a mention that I have found to be really popular but still has not been released on dvd is Kate Bush The whole story.
The vcd of the whole story is very sought after and it can be played on a multi region dvd player but for the best sound and picture the laserdisc is by far the best option but the vcd is 80mins long where the laserdisc is 55min or 68 min depending if it is the updated version. Hard to beleive that this has never been released on dvd.
LASERDISC
VCD

Last edited by Admin on Thu May 05, 2011 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Re: NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD   NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:08 am

Isn't STAR WARS: THE PHANTOM MENACE only available inits original theatrical form on VHS and LD? By the time it got to the DVD, hadn't 'The Beard' already made changes to it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD   NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD EmptyThu May 05, 2011 4:43 pm

PeaceMaker1 wrote:
Isn't STAR WARS: THE PHANTOM MENACE only available inits original theatrical form on VHS and LD? By the time it got to the DVD, hadn't 'The Beard' already made changes to it?

I'm not even sure the VHS made it untampered.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD   NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD Empty

Back to top Go down

NOT AVAILABLE ON DVD
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES :: LASERDISC CHAT-
Jump to: