DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Sequels better than the originals....

Go down 
AuthorMessage
HippieDalek

PostSubject: Sequels better than the originals....   Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:41 am

I thought this would be a better place to put this thread as it doesn't necessarily relate to laserdiscs.

The rule of thumb is that the original is always better than the sequel. But this isn't always the case.

What sequels do you guys think are better than the original and why?

The most famous example usually quoted is 'The Empire Strikes Back,' which I have to agree with. It is a far superior film to the original in terms of acting, story and pacing. Even today the film still has me on the edge of me seat with suspense, hoping they'll get to Han before Bobba Fett, hoping that Luke will defeat Vader, gasping at the revelation. It's a film you can easily immerse yourself in.

My second choice would be X-Men 2. The first one is great and it revolutionised the super hero film format, taking it from being jokes like Dare Devil and the later Batman films to being something serious again. The first one set up the world and characters and was highly enjoyable, the second one is the payoff. Once again I feel everything was better in the second film, and like Empire it left you wanting for more (though we got a thoroughly disappointing X-Men 3).

And my third choice would have to be Bill And Ted's Bogus Journey. Again the original is a classic but everything has been upped for the sequel. I think the second one is a better made film, better directed and with a more appealing storyline (American High Schools just never draw me in). On top of that you have bizarre throw away references to things like Star Trek and even Bergman's Seventh Seal.

So what do you guys think? Any other sequels you feel are better than the original, or do you disagree with any of my picks, lets get a discussion going.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://laserdisc.wikkii.com
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sequels better than the originals....   Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:39 am

I would say that Dawn of the dead was better than Night of the living dead but its like a different film rather than a sequel . I have just bought when a stranger calls back which is regarded by many to be better than the original but I will have to wait to find out.
Quite often the sequel is better but there are films such as alien ressurection, predator 2 , the jaws films and many more were the sequels have been a dissapointment. Im not sure I should admit it but I thought dumb and dumber was a good film but I didnt like the sequel dumb and dumberer ,just not very good without jim carrey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
leekehrer

PostSubject: Re: Sequels better than the originals....   Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:25 pm

Interesting question. I would have to say that my two selections would be.....

1) Alien and Aliens. Alien is a fantastic film with all the right boxes ticked. Suspense, action, good storyline etc. But I will sit down and, without thinking, watch Aliens first. It is a complete success of a movie of epic proportions. Obviously, in my humble opinion.

2) Terminator and T2. I think this speaks for itself. Two very different films, but at least one very worthy sequel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Re: Sequels better than the originals....   Tue May 17, 2011 9:58 am

Mad Max and Mad Max II
BATMAN and BATMAN RETURNS
BATMAN BEGINS and Dark Knight
Superman and Superman II (either version)
Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (not to mention III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX)
Spider-man and Spider-man II
Back To The Future and Back To The Future II/III
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HippieDalek

PostSubject: Re: Sequels better than the originals....   Tue May 17, 2011 11:21 am

leekehrer wrote:
Interesting question. I would have to say that my two selections would be.....

1) Alien and Aliens. Alien is a fantastic film with all the right boxes ticked. Suspense, action, good storyline etc. But I will sit down and, without thinking, watch Aliens first. It is a complete success of a movie of epic proportions. Obviously, in my humble opinion.

2) Terminator and T2. I think this speaks for itself. Two very different films, but at least one very worthy sequel.

I can never make up my mind about those two series. I find the films hard to compare to their sequels as they are very different styles of films.

I think I prefer Alien and The Terminator, not because I think they're better films but because the style of the films appeals to me more.

In Terminator you have a tense thriller, Terminator 2 is an all out "balls to the walls" action flick, possibly THE defining action film. Pretty much the same when it comes to Alien now I think about it.

I find myself watching Alien and The Terminator more than Aliens and Terminator 2 so I guess I prefer them...but saying that I also find myself watching Alien 3 more than Aliens...but I guess that's a different story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://laserdisc.wikkii.com
laserkb

PostSubject: Re: Sequels better than the originals....   Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:57 am

Sequels often have more money spent on them (though not always) and this can help to make them SEEM better. In most cases, they're much worse.

Two films that I think are at least as good as the originals are BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES and BACK TO THE FUTURE 2. Both take what is good in the first film and add a whole lot more. They develop the idea and extend the story arc well beyond its initial concept. Most sequels simple try to repeat the first movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sequels better than the originals....   

Back to top Go down

Sequels better than the originals....
Page 1 of 1