DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

AV Referendum

Go down 
AuthorMessage

AV Referendum Empty
PostSubject: AV Referendum   AV Referendum EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 8:20 am

I'm still undecided on the issue but I'm leaning towards AV as although I don't think it's a perfect system I think it's better than the current one.

Personally I'm a bit disappointed with the reactions of politicians and the media on this matter; they're too busy shouting and slagging each other off that no one is really concentrating on explaining the difference between the two systems.

Whatever your opinions on AV and FPTP be sure that you actually go out next week and use your right to vote. It's a right that is often taken for granted when we're all very fortunate to have it.
Back to top Go down
laserkb

laserkb

AV Referendum Empty
PostSubject: Re: AV Referendum   AV Referendum EmptyMon May 09, 2011 4:26 am

Well, the issue's over now, but I'm still unsure that people knew what they were voting on.

I worked (as I always do) as a Poll Clerk last Thursday and, for a start, the turnout was very low. We had about 30% of the registered voters in our constituency actually turning up which is no great endorsement for democracy, is it? From comments I overheard, most people seemed to be voting 'No' simply to spite Nick Clegg. This hardly seems a rational argument on which to throw out a serious proposal for voting reform. Most of these selfsame voters were clearly anti-Cameron too, but they didn't seem to realise they were merely playing into his hands.

I've often heard it said that you can't fool the British electorate, that they're not stupid and can see beyond the politician's bluffs and blather. Well, from what I've observed over the years, working within many polling stations in my area, the opposite seems to be true. You wouldn't expect many people to read manifestos or seriously consider the implications of eveything at election times. Few people hold degrees in Political Science or Political History. They simply vote by family or regional tradition or do what their chosen newspapers tell them to do. In other words, democracy should be defined as 'Rule by Idiots'. That's what we're left with and that's why we get drawn into illegal wars and disastrous economic policies.

The trouble is that I don't know any better way of doing this.

Back to top Go down

AV Referendum Empty
PostSubject: Re: AV Referendum   AV Referendum EmptyMon May 09, 2011 4:53 am

I think it's a shame that nothing changed with the referendum but I guess I can't complain as it's what the majority voted for....

The problem being that only 42% of the British electorate actually turned out!

So even though the majority who voted did so against AV, it's still the majority of the minority.

Next election I am seriously tempted to start up a "vote campaign." On the whole I can't complain about who people vote for as we do live in a democracy, but I do think that more people need to realise what a privilege it is to be able to vote.

It just sickens me when I see headlines the day after an election proclaiming "The Day Britain Stood Up For Democracy" yet the majority didn't notice or care.

Sometimes I think countries like Australia have the right idea by giving out fines to non voters but that seems a little extreme.

I agree that the voting system needs to change, but I think first the public opinion towards voting needs to change.

*steps down from his soap box*

Rant over.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

AV Referendum Empty
PostSubject: Re: AV Referendum   AV Referendum Empty

Back to top Go down

AV Referendum
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES :: BEYOND LASERDISCS for non laserdisc related discussion-
Jump to: