DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Which will my 100th LD be?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
nissling

PostSubject: Which will my 100th LD be?   Sun May 01, 2011 4:37 am

Right now, I own 95 Laserdisc-titles and they're all listed at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. As far as I can see, my next purchases will be Amarcord, Dersu Uzala, High And Low and Throne Of Blood (all Criterions with exception of High And Low). So once those four LD's are purchades, I'm the owner of 99 uniqe Laserdiscs. It may not sound like alot, but as you say in Swedish, "Storlek är inte samma sak som storhet", use Google Translate if you don't understand that language.

When it comes to my 100th Laserdisc, I want it to be something special. I've thought about it alot and here's some of the titles I come to think about as candidates.

Robocop (Criterion, CAV)
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (Pioneer, Special edition, the only movie from my top 10-list I don't own on LD)
Dune (Japanese box-set)
Dr. Strangelove or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb (Criterion)
Spartacus (Criterion)
Ghibli Ga Ippai Collection (though I think it's WAAAAY to expensive for me)
Jaws (Original Discovision-release)
The Thing (Signature collection)
Weird Al Yankovic: The Videos
A Clockwork Orange (Japanese edition)
Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back & Pikachu 's Summer Vacation
Back To The Future (Japanese box set)
Beatles: A Hard Day's Night (Criterion CAV)
The Beatles: Let it be

And probably some more, but this is what I come to think of right now that I would like to have as my 100th Laserdisc. Which one do you think? Do you know of any other good title that would be nice as my 100th LD? Please, come with an idea. I would appreciate all help I could get. Smile

By the way, I'm not a big fan of Terminator 2 either, so that one won't be my 100th LD either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Which will my 100th LD be?   Sun May 01, 2011 7:43 am

Well of the discs you have listed I would say Dr strangelove or one flew over the cuckoos nest , I have recently watched dr strangelove criterion and it is an excellent film and on criterion the picture and sound is great. I had never seen the film before but it is now one of my favourites. One flew over the cuckoos nest is a great film and the pse is quite impressive complete with script book. How about The game on criterion but it is so rare it will probably hold you up from adding to your collection , Ive been looking to replace one I sold for the last 12mths and I havent seen it for sale anywhere. There is always Armageddon criterion which was the very last criterion laserdisc released or how about u - 571 or the sixth sense but these are very expensive and although I would love to own them both but Im not willing to pay the price.
I have a record of Al Yankovic it looks like the michael jackson albumn bad but this one is called even worse, Im not even sure how I came to own it I think it came in a collection of records I bought years ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
bullruckle

PostSubject: Re: Which will my 100th LD be?   Sun May 01, 2011 8:05 am

Hey Nissling. Funny, but I was just thinking the same question for myself the other day, but instead of 100th disc, I was thinking 1000th.
Perhaps your 100th could be a 'Squeeze' LD?
Any particular reason youre after the Jap release of a clockwork orange? Is it different to the U.S. in anyway?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laserkb

PostSubject: Re: Which will my 100th LD be?   Sun May 01, 2011 8:56 am

Well, nissling, here's a suggestion for you:

I'm way past the 1000 mark now, and it seems there's very little left that I still want (or can afford) but there is one really elusive LD title that I'd sell my home, wife and kids to get. It's Ken Russell's THE DEVILS.

I've long been campaigning through internet petitions, along with Mark Kermode and thousands of others, to get this masterpiece released on DVD. I know the film has its detractors, not least Warner Brothers themselves who were so appalled by it, then and now, that they've done absolutely everything to bury it once and for all. I've approached WHV directly, but answer comes there none. Yet interest remains huge, there's already documentaries about it, Kermode has found and restored much of the lost footage and Russell himself has recorded a commentary. An appalling quality bootleg DVD has sold massively. What are Warners waiting for? (Apparently, their head honcho, is personally affronted by this film so that no one can do anything with it while he remains CEO. He won't license it to Criterion or Anchor Bay or any of half a dozen companies who'd be glad to put out a truly Special Edition, or release it in a Europe-only edition so as not upset the fundamentalist right in America.)

So, what's this got to do with laserdiscs? Simply that there WAS a Japanese LD release (albeit heavily censored) which seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. There was a copy from a US dealer about a year ago (quite expensive) but sold now and I can find no other dealers offering this title. I wondered if anyone had ever seen this edition. Does anyone own a copy now?

Sadly, it's a pan-and-scan presentation, and the non-removable Japanese subtitles are within the picture, but it would surely look better than the execrable VHS versions that are all Warners have seen fit to release to the home market in the UK so far.

This is more than a lost opportunity. It's a real tragedy to film buffs and movie historians. When you consider some of the tripe that IS released on disc (much of it far more 'offensive' or 'challenging' than THE DEVILS) it's totally unforgiveable to keep this film from its fans, many of whom rate it among their Top 5 movies ever.

So, nissling, if you could get a copy of this film for you 100th LD, you'd really have something!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nissling

PostSubject: Re: Which will my 100th LD be?   Sun May 01, 2011 8:59 am

Admin: I've seen Dr. Strangelove a couple of times and I like it of course since it was made by Stanley Kubrick. One Flew Over The cuckoo's Nest is the only film on my top ten-favorite movies of all time that I don't own on Laserdisc. I'm not really a big fan of stuff like Armageddon or anything by David Fincher (exactly why I bought an expensive copy of Fight Club is another question though...), so I would say pass on those titles.

Bullruckle: I don't have a Widescreen-TV, so there is no reason for me to buy a squeeze-LD but it was a good idea since the squeeze-titles are pretty rare. I only have A Clockwork Orange on the list because it's my all-time favorite film along with Blade Runner and the Japanese edition has a gatefold while the US has a standard sleeve. That's enough reason for it to be a possible candidate as my 100th LD.

Laserbk: Uhh, I'm sorry but I can't let any Pan&scan-title get into my collection so I'll have to pass that one too. I feel so stubborn in this thread right now. But thanks alot for the help that I've got from all of you so far. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Which will my 100th LD be?   Sun May 01, 2011 1:35 pm

I have looked and cannot find a devils laserdisc anywhere but a region 1 dvd has been released and is available on amazon.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Looks to be a transfer from the vhs but it might not be as cut as the uk version.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
nissling

PostSubject: Re: Which will my 100th LD be?   Sun May 22, 2011 1:57 pm

I just bought my 100th Laserdisc and it was THX-WOW! Very Happy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It costed me 100 SEK, about $15. That was one good bargain! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Re: Which will my 100th LD be?   Mon May 23, 2011 12:59 am

"Size is not the same thing as greatness"

Or there abouts...It is certainly true of your collection.

Also, what's wrong with 100 discs? That sounds like a good number, besides which everyone has to start somewhere. I remember have having just my solitary STAR WARS Defintive set (my first ever LD purchase, as it happens), all on it own. There are a few friends around it now, of course (I really should stay away from Dinodiscs' store!) so it's not alone anymore.

Great choices you put up too, but your actual buy was great! I was really tempted by a THX-WOW LD a short while back, but just could not divert the funds at the time. A bit like now actually.

Well done nis.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HippieDalek

PostSubject: Re: Which will my 100th LD be?   Mon May 23, 2011 3:21 am

A great bargain!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://laserdisc.wikkii.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which will my 100th LD be?   

Back to top Go down

Which will my 100th LD be?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES :: LASERDISC CHAT-
Jump to: