DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

BLACK-AND-WHITE MOVIES

Go down 
AuthorMessage
laserkb

PostSubject: BLACK-AND-WHITE MOVIES   Sun May 01, 2011 7:39 pm

Laserdiscs (and DVDS for that matter) are great for recreating the look and sound of a cinema in your own home: widescreen images, rich colours, sound coming at you in all directions. All you have to do is supply the popcorn. But laserdiscs can offer something which few cinemas will offer these day - the black-and-white experience.

Now I'm told that many people under 30 won't watch a black-and-white film, especially with a mono soundtrack (and certainly not if it's got subtitles or intertitles - so that's all movies prior to 1928 right out for a start!) but I think that easily half of my laserdisc collection is exactly that: b/w and in mono.

I love old movies and there is something particularly pleasing about black-and-white. It has its own aesthetic and requires a completely different approach to lighting and camerawork. Some of today's film-makers wouldn't know how to film in black-and-white (even if they could get the film stock) but there have, of course, been some celebrated contemporary examples of directors returning to the form: Scorsese's RAGING BULL, David Lynch's THE ELEPHANT MAN and Abel Ferrara's THE ADDICTION are just three examples along with much of Woody Allen's work. Then other directors have used b/w as a form of homage as in Mel Brooks' YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN and Tim Burton's ED WOOD.

But what about 'proper' black-and-white films? They were still being made up to the 1960s but it's hard to think of any after that.

Which ones do you own, if any? What are your favourites? Think of those which aren't black-and-white simply because they hadn't invented colour yet, but rather where black-and-white is an essential part of the look of the film. Obviously, nearly all film noir from the 30s to the 50s relies heavily on the shadows and light of b/w, and classics like CITIZEN KANE and THE THIRD MAN are triumphs of b/w composition, as are Ingmar Bergman's moody masterpieces, but don't forget gothic horror and early science fiction.

And while we're at it, although I personally hate colourisation and regard it as an abomination, are there any black-and-white films you'd like to see colourised?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Re: BLACK-AND-WHITE MOVIES   Mon May 02, 2011 2:44 am

Oooh, good topic!

I personally cannot understand why that 'Not Watching This' attitude exists myself, but yes it is out there and that's a shame. In the "Movie Night" thread I posted that we had just watched 'CASABLANCA' with Humphrey Bogart and Claude Raines and it was a cracking film. The fact that it was not widescreen, not colour or not even stereo did not bother me one iota.

Some of my favourite films are from my B/W movie titles, from classics to the more modern. I am a huge fan of the UNIVERSAL MONSTERS films of the 30s and 40s and have something like 14 films from that series (with more still on my 'wants' list) and that is not even getting to the slightly later B/W classics like THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL and beyond.

As for the actual visual quality of a film in B/W on LD, well I think that there is just something about monochrome that makes it almost universally good, almost regardless of viewing format. I really feel that B/W resolution tops out at about DVD quality (unless you want to spend a small fortune on a totally new remaster). To go to higher resolution like Bluray...I don't know, in theory it should give a fantastic picture but I don't really have many so I cannot judge yet. I have Psycho and it looks very good but it is just one movie and I cannot realy make an informed judgment on that alone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HippieDalek

PostSubject: Re: BLACK-AND-WHITE MOVIES   Mon May 02, 2011 5:03 pm

Well I'm under 30 and have no qualms at all about watching something in black and white with a mono soundtrack...or no soundtrack for that matter! As long as it's good cinema I'll watch it.

For me the best examples of B/W have to be the already mentioned classics of Day the Earth Stood Still and the Third Man.

Although made in the early 60s I still class Dr. Strangelove in the category of later films that didn't need to be in black and white, plenty of Kubrick's previous films were in full colour so it must have been a choice to make it in monochrome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://laserdisc.wikkii.com
AvanteProject

PostSubject: Re: BLACK-AND-WHITE MOVIES   Wed May 04, 2011 6:47 pm

I'm 21 and recently bought and watched Day the Earth Stood Still for the first time and thought it was awesome. Though CLeRKS is one of my favourite movies and that's also in black and white.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BLACK-AND-WHITE MOVIES   

Back to top Go down

BLACK-AND-WHITE MOVIES
Page 1 of 1