DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hello from Wales!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Danielp

Hello from Wales! Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Wales!   Hello from Wales! EmptyMon May 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi,

I'm another recent convert to laserdisc collecting. I was a student when laserdiscs were around in the early nineties, so no hope of affording a player. I hadn't even heard of them until I bought a CD-Video laserdisc of an Opera totally selling off in the Virgin Megastore in about 1994 (Richard Struass Salome on DG). Just got it as a curiosity because it was selling off. Earlier this year, I was about to chuck out this unplayed disc- then I checked on eBay to see how expensive a player would be. I realised a modern Pioneer was the way to go, so went for a cheap CLD- S315 (which has AC3, but not amazing pic qual). I checked out the best discs to get and was suprised to find out how cheap they were- as a record collector, I appreciate the cover art and box sets. After a bit more research, I picked up a CLD 2950 with no AC3 mod for next to nothing- this is now my main machine. I have built up a small, but very good collection- I am being selective and picking up the best versions of Sci-Fi, kids movies, favourite movies and classical opera. I'm really enjoying the hobby- at present, when possible, I buy a laserdisc and the corresponding Blu-Ray, but skip DVD. Then hop from modern to classic format!! Very interesting to compare something that is all detail and something that is much more atmospheric and cinematic.

I think laserdiscs collection is taking off a bit- I'm buying everything I want before it really takes off ;-)

The main things I am after now are the Critereon Pulp fiction box and a Star Wars episode one, plus any other unusual world cinema or opera I notice on the way. My favourite purchases are the Star Trek Voyages movies collection I have just bought and of course the awesome Star Wars definitive collection, which looks very good with the CLD 2950 (better than that awful DVD rehash). I'm learning alot about home cinema and its configuration in the process. Great stuff!!

My favourites for pic quality are Goldeneye, T2 SE, Criterion Robocop and the Fifth Element. The final one was to replace a broken DVD and to my eyes seems better!

Daniel
Back to top Go down

Hello from Wales! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Wales!   Hello from Wales! EmptyMon May 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Welcome to the forums! I hope you feel welcome here and enjoy the fun atmosphere.

You'll find quite a few new collectors here, like myself, as well as many who were lucky enough to have players and collections in the glory days so there's plenty of collective knowledge to plunder if you have any questions.

I look forward to getting to know you : )
Back to top Go down

Hello from Wales!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES :: INTRODUCTIONS-
Jump to: