DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

VCD Thread?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
HippieDalek

PostSubject: VCD Thread?   Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:18 am

I just got this Star Wars VCD boxset through the post today:

Unfortunately I only found out after receiving it that even though it doesn't say anything about it on the box the films are the Fullscreen Special Editions but oh well, at least the packaging is very pretty.

As far as I can tell from the packaging this is a Malaysian VCD, but contains a promo for Fox Australia...not sure how that works.

I don't really collect VCDs, I only have this an one other; A Man Called Hero, another Malaysian VCD with nice packaging but the film itself is a poor quality bootleg, unfortunately it's the only way to get the full length original version of the film.

Does anyone else here have or collect VCDs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://laserdisc.wikkii.com
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: VCD Thread?   Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:19 pm

Like the star wars set
One advantage of a vcd is it can be played on a multi region dvd player so if a film is not available on dvd then vcd is another option without the need to buy a laserdisc player or video recorder.The most sought after VCD title that I know of is Kate Bush the whole story and the vcd is 80mins long where the laserdisc is 55min or 68 min depending if it is the updated version.
VCD

I also have Clive Barkers SALOME AND THE FORBIDDEN on vcd , it is available on dvd but the asking price is over £60 so the vcd is a much cheaper alternative.
ABOUT SALOME AND THE FORBIDDEN

Clive Barker made two films which went on to be put on video: Salome, which he did when he was 18, and The Forbidden, which he did when he was 19. Both short, dark pieces. Salome is seven minutes long and shot on 8mm; The Forbidden was shot on 16mm.

Doug Bradley: "One image that I remember strongly, from The Forbidden, was that Clive had built what he called his 'nail-board'. Basically, it was a block of wood which he squared off and he banged six-inch nails at the intersections of the squares. When I first saw the illustrations for Pinhead, it rang a bell with me. Here was the idea he'd been playing with, the nail-board, from The Forbidden. Now, ten or fifteen years later, here he'd actually put the idea all over a human being's face!"

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
laserkb

PostSubject: Re: VCD Thread?   Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:05 pm

I have only the one VCD, being this German TV concert from one of my all-time favourite singer-songwriters, Melanie (Safka).

But the drawback is that there is a pause in between each 'track' when it should be continuous. I suppose it's not too bad 'cos it only interrupts the audience applause, but it's still a bit jarring. Thankfully, there's an uninterrupted audio CD as well, so I can at least listen to the show if I wish.

Are movies on VCD chaptered, and do they pause between chapters like this? Or is there a way to get these discs to play without the pauses?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HippieDalek

PostSubject: Re: VCD Thread?   Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:13 am

I know that VCDs could have chapters but very few did.

The Star Wars one has two Chapters on Disc 1 of A New Hope, the first being the bonuses and the second being the film, but as the bonuses fade out to black before the start of the film I can't tell if there's a pause.

How are you watching the VCD? On a DVD player or a computer? I imagine if it would play without pauses then playing it on a computer would be your best bet.

I finally got hold of my A Man Called Hero VCD again (It was still in my parents house in Scotland) and thought I'd post some pictures of it:

After having a quick skip through it for the first time in years I'm not sure it is a "cheap bootleg" as I thought before. As you can see the packaging is beautiful and there are even a couple of holograms. The only thing that makes me think that it is a bootleg is that during one scene at the end of disc one the letters "GSC - AD4" appears in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, for the whole scene:

So I don't know if it's official or not, but as I said before it is the only way of getting the complete version of the film, for some reason all the scenes mentioning the KKK and all scenes with Americans as bad guys disappeared after the films theatrical run, it took me around ten years to track down a complete copy and so far this VCD is the only one I've found.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://laserdisc.wikkii.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VCD Thread?   

Back to top Go down

VCD Thread?
Page 1 of 1