DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

FILM NIGHT TONIGHT

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
laserkb

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:05 pm

Yep, that's the one. That artwork is supposed to be from the famous flooded cellar scene near the beginning of INFERNO, and that female with the big arse is supposed to be the beautiful Irene Miracle. Well, she looks nothing like that ! The artist has even got her hair colour wrong. She's a gorgeous and talented actress (you may remember her as the girlfriend in MIDNIGHT EXPRESS) and this painting is an insult to her real beauty. I guess it's meant to pull in the pubescent schoolboys, still giggling over T&A, but it's not right for Argento's movie. Strange, because Arrow Films do quite respectful covers for some of their more "arthouse" releases such as LES DIABOLIQUES and THE BICYCLE THIEF, so why they feel the need to "sex up" these artful horror movies is beyond me. Strikes me that they don't really understand the movies they put out!

Perhaps forum users can think of other examples of cover art - for laserdiscs or DVDs - that don't really fit the movie they're designed for. There are some great covers out there, but some really seem to want to put you off.

Check out these 3 editions of CITIZEN KANE. Only one of these is really smart and attractive, imo. Which one do you think that is?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HippieDalek

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:19 pm

laserkb wrote:

Check out these 3 editions of CITIZEN KANE. Only one of these is really smart and attractive, imo. Which one do you think that is?

I'd have to go with the first one, set up lilke a newspaper. Fits the film and is an attractive cover.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://laserdisc.wikkii.com
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:15 pm

hope you dont mind but I have moved this on to another topic
"cover art - for laserdiscs or DVDs - that don't really fit the movie they're designed for"
this is now my FILM NIGHT TONIGHT topic again Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:33 pm

Over the last couple of nights I have watched Mark of the Devil and Tenebre. Having seen nearly all of the elite collection Mark of the Devil was one that I was looking forward to seeing, also my wife was looking forward to this as she does like any films based on true stories and historical events. I did warn her about the violent nature of the film and it was a bit too much for her.
The film is very violent but if you want to see a film about witchhunting that is true to life then thats what you have to expect , it was filmed in an Austrian castle where actual witchfinding interrogations took place. This castle also served as a museum with authentic torture tools that were used in the film.
The film has been criticized by many reviewers for being too violent to contain any message and far too exploitative whilst dealing with a serious historical subject. imo the violence and various methods of torture in the film was necessary to give a feel of what the victims had to endure. Im glad that I have seen the film but it is not a film that I would watch again.
Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:38 pm

We have just watched Guillermo Del Torro's "CRONOS"

What a weird little number it is too. It consists of dialogue that is in Spanish for 98% and about 2% in English. These parts are usually where Ron Perlman speaks, but as he speaks Spanish in the film as well as English it is all a bit confusing. Did they film the shots in English to get the pace and timing right, with the hope of re-filming them in Spanish later?

Still as a film, it is about as an intriguing take on the 'vampyre' mythology as you will ever see...all the right elements are there but they have been given a really good shaking up.

Sadly the copy quality leaves something to be desired. The PQ is not great and the AQ is about as bad a digital sound track as I have ever heard. Such a shame for such an intersting film. A TARTAN Extreme or a TARTAN Horror are always worth a look, but if you want to see this then be prepared for below average picture and sound.

Pity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:47 pm

Last night I watched The Edge starring Anthony Hopkins.
I thought it was a great film and highly reccommend it , one of the best films I have seen for quite a while.
Back to top Go down
laserkb

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:05 pm

Just watched the strangest double bill. First up was a New Zealand picture from 1992 called JACK BE NIMBLE with Alexis Arquette. Didn't quite know what to expect, but reviews suggested a melodrama or thriller. It actually turned out to the most bizarre horror movie - very dark, very grim, like some adult fairy-tale - and very much a non-Hollywood type of picture. No laughs, but great performances, photography and atmosphere. Not sure I'd want to watch it again, though. It features the four creepiest 'sisters' I've seen in any movie - will probably have nightmares (especially after playing the Scary Maze Game here on the forum!).

By way of contrast, next up was a Criterion laserdisc of THE NAKED KISS, a film from director Samuel Fuller. I've seen and enjoyed some of his other pictures (SHOCK CORRIDOR, THE BIG RED ONE) but this one was way too weird. It had some good points to make about the role of women in the very male-dominated world of the early 60s and the acting was top notch but it was so un-naturalistic. Nobody speaks like this, no American small town was as artificial as this. It was probably meant to be symbolic or surreal, not sure. Still, it made a pleasant change from the usual Hollywood tripe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laserkb

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:37 am

I am constantly amazed by the astonishing number of wonderful movies that I'd not previously heard of. The chance to get inexpensive laserdiscs through the Dinodisc store keeps throwing up little gems like this one which I watched the other night.

As we live in a very cynical world, perhaps there are not too many of you out there who would fall for a movie like FLUKE, but I'm afraid I did, head over heels. You see, it's about a dog, or rather it's about a bloke who dies in a car crash and is re-incarnated in the body of a dog. Whoa! Don't look away. The film wasn't half as naff as that sounds.

For a start, although FLUKE is a family film (of sorts - well, it was rated PG), it certainly ain't Disney. Yes, the dogs (there were several in the film) were irresistibly cute, and yes, the sentimentality was laid on in trowels, but the themes underlying the film were quite dark. In fact, I wouldn't want to show this to any kids under, say, age 9 or 10. Otherwise, I'd have to start explaining about things like death caused by dangerous driving, the plight of the homeless, the even worse plight of stray animals and the 'duties' of dog wardens, the whole controversy of animal experimentation and so-called research laboratories, the fraught issues of boardroom politics, the even more fraught issues of infidelity and, most difficult of all, the lingering presence of the deceased in our everyday lives. Try that little lot on for size! I doubt that Disney has ever gone into such dangerous territory.

There WERE human actors (Matthew Modine, Nancy Travis, Eric Stoltz) but the animals outshone them all. They each get their own screen credit at the end, and deservedly so. Yes, I know that they have handlers off-camera and that it's all done by skillful editing, but hey! Give a dog a break. These pooches had got more talent and expression in their little paw than many contemporary actors have in their entire bodies!

Never heard of the director (Carlo Carlei - what patience that man must have), but the original source novel is by James Herbert. I haven't read it, and the few dissenting voices on IMDB complain that the book is quite different. Books usually are. The novel is probably darker still. For me, it was enough just to sit spellbound by everything the eponymous hound, Fluke, did. The film starts with him as a newborn pup and growing into a fully adult mutt (mongrel, I think, part-Golden Labrador, part-red setter), putting him into a series of evermore challenging situations.

When I say that Samuel L. Jackson features heavily as the voice of Fluke's mentor and guardian (a lumbering dog called Rumbo), you'll know we're talking 'street cred' here. FLUKE is not just a shaggy dog story, it goes far deeper than that. And even if, unlike me, you are canine-proof, you will still marvel at the incredible photography (Raffaele Mertes) and be moved by the evocative score (Carlo Siliotto). These names suggest an Italian co-production, which makes sense because the only other "doggy" movie that has affected me as deeply is Vittorio de Sica's UMBERTO D - but that's another story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:23 pm

Just watched Far from home adventures of a yellow dog.
I had been meaning to watch this film for a while but my wife was put of by the title "The Adventures of Yellow Dog" well she was wrong to be put off as it was a very good film that had my wife in tears.
Other films that have reduced her to tears are The Bear and homeward bound on laserdisc and two brothers and eight below on dvd and I have just ordered HACHI A DOG'S TALE so I will have to get the tissues ready.
Back to top Go down
AvanteProject

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:45 am

Just finished watching Spawn: Director's Cut. I haven't seen it since '98 and it really hasn't aged well. Decent story and characters but there's some crappy dialog and the ending is a mess. A lot of the CGI still looks pretty good except for the hell scenes.

As far as the LaserDisc goes, the picture is excellent. Great colour and clarity and the image is pretty sharp. It has a Dolby Digital soundtrack as well as Dolby Surround. I'm only able to use regular surround at the moment which is awesome anyway with my set up but I feel like DD releases always seem to have sub par DS tracks. This is no exception. While most of the movie sounds great, loud noises like gunfire, explosions and thunder sound slightly muffled. This also seems to be the case with the Die Hard 2 and to a lesser extent the Judge Dredd DD releases.

This LD also features a commentary track and trailer.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase but there are way better movies and LaserDiscs out there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laserkb

PostSubject: THE LION KING   Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:41 pm

Having been urged by HippieDalek, Bullruckle and Admin to put aside my prejudices, I have finally got round to seeing THE LION KING. And yes, I was very impressed. It was good to see a Disney animation that got away from princesses and magic kingdoms - THE FOX AND THE HOUND was another good example of that non-fairytale type of story. In fact, in many ways THE LION KING reminded me of BAMBI. But in amongst the many positive points there were a few negative ones, for me at least.

The story seemed slight. Even though it was alarmingly violent in places, not enough happened when compared to something like 101 DALMATIANS or LADY AND THE TRAMP, both of which are filled with narrative development. Admittedly, Mufasa’s death was a moment of high drama with a real emotional surge in the scene that followed. And the voice artists were all superb, especially James Earl Jones, though I did feel that Jeremy Irons was a poor man’s George Sanders! (Come back, Shere Khan – all is forgiven!)

As for the animation, the backgrounds were stunning. All those Serengeti landscapes and night-time scenes were beautifully rendered with those soft-focus foregrounds to give real depth, but the character animation was less subtle. And the direction called for too much rapid panning and zooming that I imagined cinema-audiences watching on a huge screen could have had motion sickness induced!

The characterisations also varied in their appeal. I loved Nala and Zazu, but was very irritated by Timon and Pumbaa. They weren’t at all funny (although I liked their brief ‘Wimoweh’ rendition) and the jokes were grim. (“Have YOU got your lions crossed!”) The only bit of their dialogue that amused me was the bit about the stars being “fireflies” or “big balls of gas”. Now that was funny.

Finally, the music. Well, Hans Zimmer has yet to do a bad score for a movie and his contribution here was magnificent. But those songs! Oh, what can I say? If only they’d got someone like Johnny Clegg & Savuka to do the songs in keeping with Zimmer’s score and the film’s theme then everything would have been great. In every Disney animation with songs there are always a few classics and a few clunkers. Consider THE JUNGLE BOOK’s “The Bare Necessities” and “I Wanna Be Like You” compared to “Colonel Hathi’s March” or “My Own Home” from the same movie. However, in THE LION KING, I felt that ALL the songs were poor and got in the way of the story. The fault lay less with the lyrics and arrangements and more the vocal style. It just wasn’t ‘African’ enough, more like American FM radio (MOR radio at that!).

Oh well, that’s what I thought. A really good movie that, but for one or two things, could have been a really GREAT movie. However, I’m glad I’ve seen I, and as they say, - "Hakuna Mutata!"

Last edited by laserkb on Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HippieDalek

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:14 am

laserkb wrote:
In fact, in many ways THE LION KING reminded me of BAMBI.

Interestingly when writing the film it became known as Bamlet as the general idea was make a cross between Bambi and Hamlet...and you can see the influences of both...except there's not a comically large pile of bodies at the side of the stage at the end of the Lion King.

I certainly agree with you on the songs, they're not some of Disney's best, but I also don't think they're Disney's worst. I do quite like the Circle of Life, it's got an epic feel to it that the opening scene (what a scene!) requires. But on the whole the rest of them are forgettable. But I don't really get into the songs in Disney films in general, I'm not sure why as I'll happily sit and watch a musical film and get into it no problem, but Disney musicals never really do anything for me.

Out of interest which version did you watch? Laserdisc or DVD? Disney pulled a Lucas with the DVD and changed a couple of shots and added in a song for Zazu which too me destroyed the pacing of the scene. You can watch the the film without the new scene if you do some obscurely hidden menu selection, but it still has the altered shots.

When I think about it you probably saw the laserdisc as it's much easier to get hold of than the DVD as it's discontinued and often goes for silly amounts on ebay.

I'm glad you still enjoyed it though and our recommendations weren't a total disaster.
Back to top Go down
HippieDalek

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:24 am

I finally got round to watching Jacob's Ladder the other night.

It's one of those films where there's not much I can say about it without ruining the plot, but I will say that it is brilliant and unforgettable. The film is a horror/thriller, but is genuinely disturbing and frightening at many points, not through gore but through unsettling imagery, implied horror and atmosphere.

The acting is top notch, especially from Tim Robbins who I usually can't stand! You genuinely feel for the characters. And the story is very engaging, keeping you hooked at every point, pacing is great, you are constantly wondering where the plot is going and always reassessing what you have already seen.

I can see why this is often said to be the inspiration for the Silent Hill game series, and it does bare a lot of similarities with many things just being blatently ripped off by the games. This is the film that the Silent Hill film should have been. It is a lot more unnerving and scary than the two hour gore and yawn fest of the Silent Hill film I was once forced to watch.

I can't recommend this film enough, check it out if you can.

Interestingly the copy I own (that I won from Dinodisc!) has a sticker on the back marking it as a "sample"
Does anyone know what this means?
Back to top Go down
laserkb

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:27 am

Yeah, I think JACOB'S LADDER is a great movie and seriously underrated in some quarters. The trouble is, as with THE SIXTH SENSE, I saw the ending coming from three miles away! Also, I remember the first time I saw it, I spent ages trying to "place that kid". Of course, it's Macauley Culkin but he gets no screen credit and I've always wondered why. Can't stand him in anything else but, here as 'Sonny Boy', he's perfect.

And, yeah, "Circle Of Life" in THE LION KING is a real curtain-raiser. I know it had hundreds of performers on it, but it wish it had sounded more 'ethnic' and less 'Broadway'. Peter Gabriel and Youssou N'Dour would have made a brilliant job of it, especially if they'd brought Manu Katche in to play the drums and Papa Wemba with Molokai to do that soul-lifting chorus. If you wonder how that would sound, try to listen to "In Your Eyes", the closing number from Peter Gabriels SECRET WORLD LIVE concert. Superimpose that soundtrack onto THE LION KING animation and it would work perfectly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HippieDalek

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:53 am

True, I got parts of the ending quite early, but it didn't ruin the whole film like knowing the end of Sixth Sense would. For me the mystery wasn't so much what was happening but why.

I'll check out the Peter Gabriel track, he's done some great and game songs I seem to remember. I read somewhere that an African composer did some work on the Lion King, working with the composers, but I think Disney wanted to play it safe and have music the US audiences could relate to rather than have to face something entirely new to them...apparently the nightmare of every American audience.
Back to top Go down
laserkb

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:26 am

HippieDalek wrote:
Interestingly the copy I own (that I won from Dinodisc!) has a sticker on the back marking it as a "sample"
Does anyone know what this means?

I suppose laserdiscs were manufactured with a few test pressings before the actual run commenced, just like with vinyl LPs. Twice I've won LPs as prizes in Radio One competitions (this was a LONG time ago! early 1970s) and both of them had 'Factory Sample' stickers on the label. I gather these were sent to broadcasters, a bit like promo LPs, and so they were given out as prizes later on, thus costing the broadcasters, in this case the Beeb, nothing! How generous of them!

A guy I knew at college had an uncle who worked in a major record pressing plant and he was in constant receipt of shedloads of albums from this uncle - all 'Factory Samples, some with white labels and hand-written details, some with entirely blank labels so there was no way of knowing who was on the disc. We used to spend hours playing 'mystery LPs', trying to work out who the performers could be. Most were so unremarkable we never did identify them. Because these albums were freebies, my friend often used to play them once (if at all) and then junk them. Ironically, this sort of stuff sells for mega-money these days on eBay. If only we'd known....!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:13 am

The other night I watched The Grey Fox which is a film based on a true story about the stagecoach robber Bill Miner , he was known as the gentleman bandit and he gained a celebrity status and he had many supporters. The film starts after his release from prison for robbing stagecoaches but times have changed , when he is released stagecoaches were not being used so much so he starts to rob trains. Richard Farnsworth plays the role as bill miner and he plays the part perfectly.
This is a great film and I would highly recommend it , its not easy to get hold of though as it has never been released on dvd and the vhs and laserdiscs are very rare so quite expensive.
I have just ordered another film which was Richard Farnsworths final film before he died "The Straight Story" whilst making this film he was in terrible pain and he had been diagnosed with prostate cancer in the early 1990s but by the time he made this film in 1999 he was dignosed as having terminal bone cancer , he completed the film and soon after shot himself at his ranch in lincoln new mexico , not wanting to live what was left of his life in pain.
Richard Farnsworth made many uncredited apperances in films and was a stuntman between 1937 and 1976. He got his first credited appearance in 1978 in Comes the horseman and was nominated for best supporting actor. His big breakthrough was in 1985 when he won an award for The Grey Fox.
He did several other films and in his last film The Straight Story he was nominated for best actor academy award.
It never came easy for Richard Farnsworth and it was a long road from being a stuntman and playing supporting roles for around 40 years before getting his breakthrough.

Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:28 am

Last night we watched BAD LIEUTENANT.

Oooh, Harvey Keitel is a very naughty fellow in that indeed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laserkb

PostSubject: HOOROR DOUBLE BILL   Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:42 pm

EXACTLY 34 years ago, in 1977, the 2nd of July was also on a Saturday, and it saw the start of the third summer season of horror double-bills on BBC 2.

There'd been a 5-week series in 1975 and a similar 5-week series in 1976, but now The Beeb were pushing the boat out with an 11-week season which they called "DRACULA, FRANKENSTEIN AND FRIENDS". That was 22 classic movies late on a Saturday night throughout July, August and most of September. The summer holidays had never looked so good.

And the first show? Well, it just had to be that original pair of horror classics. DRACULA (1931) was on at 23.05 followed by FRANKENSTEIN (1931) at 00.25, the whole show ending at 1.35 in the morning.

So this is what I'll be watching tonight. I'm going to recreate that wonderful double-bill at exactly the same time this evening - and I shall be using laserdiscs to do it. I thoroughly intend to do the same for the following 10 double-bills. If you have any of these movies, in any format, why not do the same? We could all step back in time together! My God, how old was I 34 years ago? (Don't go there!)

Here's the schedule for the entire season:

Saturday 2 July 1977
23.05-00.25 Dracula (Universal1931)
00.25-01.35 Frankenstein (Universal 1931)

Saturday 9 July 1977
22.50-00.00 Bride of Frankenstein (Universal1935)
00.00-01.25 Brides of Dracula (Hammer 1960)

Saturday 16 July 1977
22.45-00.15 The Mummy (Universal1932)
00.15-01.05 The Wolfman (Universal 1940)

Saturday 23 July 1977
22.10-23.45 Son of Frankenstein (Universal 1938)
23.45-01.10 Kiss of the Vampire (Hammer 1964 )

Saturday 30 July 1977
22.35.00.05 Dracula's Daughter (Universal1936}
00.05-01.30 Plague of the Zombies (Hammer 1966}

Saturday 6 August 1977
22.50-23.55 The Ghost of Frankenstein (Universal 1942}
22.55-01.10 The Premature Burial (AlP 1961)

Saturday 13 August 1977
23.05-00.05 The Raven (Universal1935}
00.05.01.10 The Black Cat (Universal1933}

Saturday 20 August 1977
22.00-23.15 Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman (Univ 1943)
00.05-01.35 The Raven (AlP 1963)

Saturday 27 August 1977
22.20-23.10 House of Frankenstein (Universal 1944)
00.05-01.35 The Reptile (Hammer 1966)

Saturday 3 September 1977
21.55-23-10 Son of Dracula (Universal 1943)
23.45-01.10 Evil of Frankenstein (Hammer 1964)

Saturday 10 September 1977
22.05-23.15 House of Dracula (Universal 1945)
23.20-00.35 Fall of the House of Usher (AlP 1960)

If anyone's interested, I can post the listings for the 2 earlier series (1975 and 1976) and the 4 later ones (1978 to 1981). It makes a fascinating insight into what the programmers and schedulers were up to back then. I doubt if any of them would be so bold these days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Slightly off topic to begin, but gets better further on......   Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:45 am

That really takes me bak to some of the happiest memories of my life!! That long hot summer of 1976 (or so it seemed! Wink ) and then '77.

Such a great mix of films too in the '77 selection. I too could replicate the run, now that I know the titles of the films being shown, that's such a good idea. Can I ask, how did you come by such info...surely not by writing it down at the time?

I was 12 in 1977, and back then staying up until 1:30am was exciting and different to me (sheltered life, believe it or not) but I had my family around me, and some good friends and we were happy. We didn't know that life could be quite that good. Pleas do give the listings for the other runs.

Thank you Ken, that brought back some realy good things to mind.

And now to go back O.T.....Last night we watched TRON: LEGACY (Bluray) and it was very pretty. A bit shallow. And long, way too long. It gave the old PS3 and Phillips TV a good work-out though. A real demo disc, if you want to impress your friends.

Last edited by PeaceMaker1 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling errors.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laserkb

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:09 am

PeaceMaker1 wrote:
I was 12 in 1977, and back then staying up until 1:30am was exciting and different to me (sheltered life, believe it or not) but I had my family around me, and some good friends and we were happy. We didn't know that life could be quite that good. Pleas do give the listings for the other runs.

I've posted the full listings on my other thread.

Here you'll find a link to the online petition to bring back some of these old movies to broadcast television. Don't suppose it'll ever happen, but there's no harm in asking.

The odd thing for me is that I would have said these broadcasts were later than the dates given. I actually remember taping some of these movies on my new Betamax top-loading VCR - and I didn't get that until November 1981 when, according to this info, these seasons were over. Maybe they repeated some of them. I didn't write the details down at the time. I got it courtesy of Mr Google.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laserkb

PostSubject: SLING BLADE   Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:11 pm

I know it’s 16 years old now, but I’ve only just watched SLING BLADE, so for me, it’s a new picture. I watched it on Admin’s recommendation, and I am astonished.

If you’ve seen this movie, you already know what it’s about. If you haven’t, then you need to see it – soon. I’m not going to give even a brief synopsis – it would not do justice to this unforgettable movie. But it is NOT a Hollywood film. It’s not, despite its Deep South setting, even an American film as such. At least, I’ve never seen an American movie like this.

It’s Billy Bob Thornton’s film throughout – you either accept that or you don’t. But he has assembled an incredible ensemble of actors to play out this latter-day fable with him including John Ritter and Dwight Yoakam as the meanest critter in Arkansas. Most impressive is Lucas Black, fresh from his appearance in TV cult favourite “American Gothic”, as the boy who befriends the Thornton character. Such acting in one so young is remarkable. As my wife observed, you actually don’t feel that he is acting, he’s so natural.

The LD sleeve says this film is “a dark, strangely affectionate portrait of the rural South” but, although the film has some affectionate moments, I found it to be deeply disturbing, more an indictment of a society that appears to tolerate violent, repressive and reactionary behaviour as something unavoidable, almost as if it’s a man’s right to be bigoted and psychotic. That a retarded mental patient with a history of justifiable homicide comes over as the sanest and most gentle character in the entire film shows where the director’s sympathies lie.

I guessed I was in for something special when I saw on the laserdisc sleeve that the music was by Daniel Lanois. This Canadian musician is one of my all-time favourites, and if you’ve seen SLING BLADE and was mesmerised by the score then I’d urge you to search out Lanois’ two solo albums, “Acadie” and “For The Beauty Of Wynona” which are exquisite beyond description.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:30 am

Glad you enjoyed Sling Blade, Billy Bob Thornton was great as Carl Childers , its one of them films that I have seen a few times and I would watch it again. One False Move was one of Billy Bob Thorntons early films which he co wrote and again its a really good film , another guaranteed to make you laugh is bad santa, if you havent seen that one I would highly recommend it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FILM NIGHT TONIGHT   

Back to top Go down

FILM NIGHT TONIGHT
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3