DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

I HAVE JUST ORDERED

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: I HAVE JUST ORDERED   Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:36 am

I have just orderd my next laserdisc MARK OF THE DEVIL Very Happy , its from the UK so I should get it within a week.
Came across this whilst checking the ELITE laserdisc releases , I havent seen it before and the reviews for it
are pretty good.
"Bloody hell!!! I tell you, I'm used to seeing rough and cruel horror films but I assure you this one is really hard to watch at times! You can either take that as a recommendation or as a warning! Mark of the Devil portrays the rites of witchfinding near Austria/ Germany in the 17th century. Honorable men who're satisfying their own bloody and perverted lusts by killing young women in the name of God Himself. This film shows a lot of resemblance to the British classic starring Vincent Price – The Witchfinder General – only it's a lot more explicit and raw…" IMDB
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Any one seen this film and how do you rate it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
laserkb

PostSubject: Re: I HAVE JUST ORDERED   Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:29 am

I have the Elite LD of MARK OF THE DEVIL and frankly it's not one of their best. Vini Bancalari produced it (he was behind most of Elite's laserdiscs) but William (Maniac Cop) Lustig was not involved on this one - his efforts usually produced the better quality releases. It's widescreen, but only just (1.66:1) and the source copy was not too great. Lots of artefacts on the images, many of which in the title sequences are held as freeze-frames, thus drawing your attention to these blobs and blemishes. The colour, too, is rather washed-out. It's a typical telecine transfer that could have done with a bit of a clean-up and some restoration. The sleeve claims it was created from "an archival 35mm print struck from the original negative", in which the case the original negative was not so great.

As for the movie itself, well, that's a matter of personal taste. I find it rather repellent with very few redeeming qualities. It's clearly a rip-off of WITCHFINDER GENERAL but with all the excesses of European cinema of the late 60s. I'm surprised that Herbert Lom agreed to be in it, and he's clearly no Vincent Price, so the film just comes over as pointlessly sadistic. It has other acting talent in it - Udo Kier (who was in those ridiculous Paul Morrissey/Andy Warhol films: BLOOD FOR DRACULA & FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN) and the wonderful Reggie Nalder, but the director, Michael Armstrong, is not one of the genre's more celebrated auteurs. His only other film of note is THE HAUNTED HOUSE OF HORROR which was more tripe but far less nasty. I think it was one of the trends at the time where film-makers were trying to out-gross each other and provoke the censors.

These days the film trades on its notoriety, like many of the so-called video nasties of the 1980s, and genre fans have to see it to "tick it off" their list, but it's not an edifying spectacle. Most viewers don't feel any better off for having seen it, but for collectors of Elite LDs it's still an essential item. The back cover proclaims "LIKELY TO UPSET YOUR STOMACH", then in small print adds "guaranteed to upset your stomach". Neither is true - it's more likely to leave you bored and irritated. But then, this is just my view. Others may think it's the CITIZEN KANE of "witchfinder" pictures!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

I HAVE JUST ORDERED
Page 1 of 1