DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

cover art - for laserdiscs or DVDs - that don't really fit the movie they're designed for

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: cover art - for laserdiscs or DVDs - that don't really fit the movie they're designed for   Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:08 pm

laserkb

I've only seen the original Japanese THE RING on DVD so, of course, there were English subtitles. They helped! The film is a corker, but I thought the cover of the Tartan DVD was awful. So for this title only I preferred the U.S. remake, partly because it has a better cover and also I am quite partial to Naomi Watts!

This business of the appeal or otherwise of certain covers is becoming quite an issue. There are several threads on Amazon arguing over the merits of some DVD re-releases from the likes of Arrow Films and Shameless Video. These companies are putting out splendid editions, often restored and uncut, of controversial cult movies from directors such as Dario Argento and Lucio Fulci but they are putting off a lot of potential buyers by commissioning original artwork that is overplaying the sensational elements. Some customers seem to like these, and see them in the same vein as the outrageous images that adorned the original banned videos in the 1980s during the Video Nasty scare, but others find them inappropriate and, dare I say it, offensive in their own right. The cover for Arrow Films' new release of INFERNO is a case in point. The movie is an artful masterpiece, a classic of its type, but the new artwork on the sleeve is just awful, really tacky and sexploitational. The film itself is nothing like the cover suggests.

The PAL laserdisc of INFERNO has a much more appropriate cover, but unfortunately the LD version is trimmed by a few sections. (The censor objected to a shot of a cat eating a live mouse! The mouse probably objected too, but the cat was gonna do this anyway, so it seems daft to cut the film just for this. And no, I don't approve of the needless slaughter in other Italian horror pices, but this somehow seems quite natural. Of course, not being a mouse myself, I can't speak for other members of the rodent community!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: cover art - for laserdiscs or DVDs - that don't really fit the movie they're designed for   Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:10 pm

admin

They changed the cover for the dvd release of Phase IV

"Too bad, however that the original artwork is not included on the release. The original poster is terrific." Amazon review

dvd artwork
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

the original artwork on the laserdisc is much better imo

is this the inferno artwork you refer to , in which case I agree
dvd artwork

US dvd & blu ray release
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: cover art - for laserdiscs or DVDs - that don't really fit the movie they're designed for   Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:10 pm

laserkb

Yep, that's the one. That artwork is supposed to be from the famous flooded cellar scene near the beginning of INFERNO, and that female with the big arse is supposed to be the beautiful Irene Miracle. Well, she looks nothing like that ! The artist has even got her hair colour wrong. She's a gorgeous and talented actress (you may remember her as the girlfriend in MIDNIGHT EXPRESS) and this painting is an insult to her real beauty. I guess it's meant to pull in the pubescent schoolboys, still giggling over T&A, but it's not right for Argento's movie. Strange, because Arrow Films do quite respectful covers for some of their more "arthouse" releases such as LES DIABOLIQUES and THE BICYCLE THIEF, so why they feel the need to "sex up" these artful horror movies is beyond me. Strikes me that they don't really understand the movies they put out!

Perhaps forum users can think of other examples of cover art - for laserdiscs or DVDs - that don't really fit the movie they're designed for. There are some great covers out there, but some really seem to want to put you off.

Check out these 3 editions of CITIZEN KANE. Only one of these is really smart and attractive, imo. Which one do you think that is?

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: cover art - for laserdiscs or DVDs - that don't really fit the movie they're designed for   Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:11 pm

hippiedalek

laserkb wrote:

Check out these 3 editions of CITIZEN KANE. Only one of these is really smart and attractive, imo. Which one do you think that is?

I'd have to go with the first one, set up lilke a newspaper. Fits the film and is an attractive cover.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: cover art - for laserdiscs or DVDs - that don't really fit the movie they're designed for   Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:17 pm

I would agree with hippiedalek , the RKO cover is the best imo
Back to top Go down
nissling

PostSubject: Re: cover art - for laserdiscs or DVDs - that don't really fit the movie they're designed for   Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:36 am

Wait, what? Are admin replying to his own messages? I don't get this at all... Rolling Eyes

But here's another weird cover art. Sure that The Deer Hunter is an excellent film, but this coves looks like it's a christmas-movie for the entire family.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: cover art - for laserdiscs or DVDs - that don't really fit the movie they're designed for   Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:25 am

I havent been replying to my own messages , I moved this from FILM NIGHT TONIGHT and started it as a new topic. Very Happy
The name of who posted is at the top of each message.

The Deer Hunter is a great film but the cover I really dislike . The japan release had a much better cover and if I found one for sale cheap enough I would be tempted to buy it just for the cover. Not that the japan cover is that great but it is a lot better than US version.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cover art - for laserdiscs or DVDs - that don't really fit the movie they're designed for   

Back to top Go down

cover art - for laserdiscs or DVDs - that don't really fit the movie they're designed for
Page 1 of 1