DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

THE WALKING DEAD

Go down 
AuthorMessage
laserkb

PostSubject: THE WALKING DEAD   Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:33 am

THE WALKING DEAD: As well as being an accurate description of most of my fellow citizens on a Monday morning, this is also the title of one of my favourite – and rarest – laserdiscs. The 1936 Boris Karloff movie, directed by Michael (Casablanca) Curtiz, was one of the last ever releases on LD from Warner Home Video with no prospect of a DVD release at the time. Hence the high prices (£200+) that were asked whenever occasional copies appeared on the secondhand market. When the film was eventually released on DVD in 2009, as part of the NTSC ‘Karloff & Lugosi Horror Collection’, prices naturally tumbled.

So when I saw this title being offered for sale in the Dinodisc store for £40, I thought, fair enough, it IS still a rare laserdisc. Then I looked again and realised this was a completely DIFFERENT movie. This ‘Walking Dead’ is a 1995 War Drama, directed by the gloriously named Preston A. Whitmore II (who he?). Was Admin getting his titles confused, or was there something special about this latter film to warrant an asking price of £39.99 rather than the more usual £9.99? After all, it is singularly missing from the Laserdisc Database! Perhaps the Dinodisc store has the ONLY copy!!!

I’m not particularly interested in this disc, but I do wonder why it’s priced so ‘competitively’. Enquiring minds want to know. Can someone shed light on this for me? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] OR

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AvanteProject

PostSubject: Re: THE WALKING DEAD   Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:26 am

I don't know, but the cover from the first one is awesome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: THE WALKING DEAD   Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:52 am

The Walking Dead is a vietnam war film , it is quite rare and not available on dvd. This has now been reduced along with many other titles in the dinodisc store and it is now priced at £14.99.

ABOUT THE FILM
Using relatively unknown actors, first-time screenwriter-director Preston A. Whitmore II examines the effects of the Vietnam War on four black Marines sent on a doomed prisoner-of-war rescue mission. The four men are what's left of a platoon that's been decimated after landing behind enemy lines. In charge is Sergeant Barkley (Joe Morton), a no-nonsense, Bible-quoting preacher who is leading three privates to find a POW camp in an abandoned temple. Cole Evans (Allen Payne) is an intellectual who is highly political, racially proud, and a devoted family man. Joe Brooks (Vonte Sweet) is a cheerful, nave, and brave young soldier. Hoover Branche (Eddie Griffin) is a dope-smoking, foul-mouthed rebel who hates the war and fights the sergeant constantly. They eventually are joined by a crazy, bloodthirsty white soldier, Pippins (Roger Floyd). Flashbacks reveal why each character joined the Marines. Pippins entered the recruiting office to escape rival gang members who were trying to kill him. Brooks enlisted to impress his girlfriend. Branche signed up after being fired from a meat-packing plant for stealing a ham that he used as admission to a party where he wanted to woo a girl. Evans enlisted because bigoted real estate agents prevented him from buying a decent home for his family in L.A. -- he intended to become a Marine officer so that he can get free housing.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: THE WALKING DEAD   

Back to top Go down

THE WALKING DEAD
Page 1 of 1