DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Greetings on this new forum from Scotland

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
leekehrer

leekehrer

Greetings on this new forum from Scotland Empty
PostSubject: Greetings on this new forum from Scotland   Greetings on this new forum from Scotland EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 2:41 pm

Hello everyone.

My name is Lee from Abernyte near Dundee in Scotland, and I am an avid collector and fan of Laserdiscs and all retro goods.

So far I have around forty discs. I went down the road of only picking up movies that mean something to me.
I try to avoid collecting movies that I don't like or have never seen. Some would say foolish but it keeps my numbers
in check without surplus. But, this new forum may push me to pick up whatever I can, whenever I can. I'm sure that one mans trash
is another mans treasure. This is why I am all in favour of the swap section of this forum.

Anyhoo, here is a brief list of my collection of goodness....

Pioneer CLD-D925, Daewoo VCR, PC, Powerbook G3 333mhz Lombard, Ipod touch 2g 16gb, 2 x XBOX 360, PS3, 2 x PS2, PS1, Gamecube, N64, Dreamcast, SNES, Megadrive 1,
Megadrive II, Sega CD, 2 x C64 and 1541 mkII floppy drive, ZX Spectrum 128k, Spectrum 48k, Spectrum +2, 3 x Amiga 500, BBC Micro.

I'm sure there is more somewhere boxed up. Seems alot, but it's alot of years collecting. I'll have to put up a list of my LDs aswell at some point.

Anyway, nice to meet you all and I look forward to speaking to you all soon.

Live long and prosper Dinodisc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greetings on this new forum from Scotland   Greetings on this new forum from Scotland EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 4:24 pm

Hi Lee, nice to meet you, I'm Ewan.

I'm from that part of the world myself, grew up in and around Perth and went to university in Dundee. I'm stuck south of the border these days in Sunderland, but it's nice to get back up north when I can.

Sounds like a sensible choice to try and limit your collection, I've only recently got into laserdiscs and am trying to make sure it doesn't turn into another stupidly large collection.

Back to top Go down
leekehrer

leekehrer

PostSubject: Re: Greetings on this new forum from Scotland   Greetings on this new forum from Scotland EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi Ewan. What a small world we live on.
Back to top Go down
laserkb

laserkb

PostSubject: Re: Greetings on this new forum from Scotland   Greetings on this new forum from Scotland EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 12:26 pm

Speaking as someone with a "stupidly large collection" I have to admit that collecting laserdiscs can be ridiculously addictive. I started out with just a few dozen discs but that was 19 years ago, since then it's grown out of all proportion. (This is beginning to sound like one of those junkie self-therapy sessions - "Hi, I'm Bob, and I'm an LD addict..")

I've never bought a disc just for the sake of it - it's always because I've wanted to see the movie. My first love was (and still is) the cinema, and when home video gave me the chance to start my own film library I was in movie heaven. But when my chosen tape format (Betamax) went belly up , I turned to laserdiscs as a big leap forward. Over the years I've traded loads of discs, too, so goodness knows how many it would be if I'd kept every disc I'd ever bought. Don't get me wrong - LD buying was ridiculously expensive and I'm just an ordinary guy on an ordinary income, but I've never smoked, drunk, bought flash cars or gambled, and with LDs I felt I had something solid and tangible that would last (they have) and possibly be an investment (which I believe they are).

Most of my collection was bought after the end of laserdisc manufacturing (2000) at prices one quarter or less of the original RRPs. I only pay top prices for occasional titles that I really REALLY want, and will never pay "silly money" to dealers - it only encourages them.

The reality is that laserdisc collections, like work, expand to fit the space allocated to them. When I just had a single storage box that's how many discs I owned, but when I transferred them to a shelf I was able to triple my collection. Now I have a dedicated room (it's quite small) but this is only because my wife didn't want my discs in our living room and I was fed up with visitors saying "What a lot of LP records you've got!" I've now filled all the available storage space in this room so the rule is: if I want any more discs, then some others will have to go. Either that or the dog!

Anyway, newcomers be warned: once you get the LD 'bug' it's hard to turn back - there's always just that "one more" disc you've gotta have!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greetings on this new forum from Scotland   Greetings on this new forum from Scotland EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 3:58 am

laserkb wrote:
once you get the LD 'bug' it's hard to turn back - there's always just that "one more" disc you've gotta have!

I've had the DVD bug, LP bug, book bug...I've had many. I've recently had to have a large clearout as I just had too much stuff so I'm actively trying to keep this collection relatively small and under control. So far I've stuck to my golden rule of not letting myself buy a laserdisc I already have on DVD.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings on this new forum from Scotland   Greetings on this new forum from Scotland Empty

Back to top Go down

Greetings on this new forum from Scotland
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES :: INTRODUCTIONS-
Jump to: