DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

PIRANHA 1 & 2

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: PIRANHA 1 & 2   Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:07 am

I have been looking for piranha 1 & 2 now for sometime with no luck , has anyone got these on laserdisc or seen them for sale anywhere , I know the films are most likely not very good but I watched them years ago and now forgotten what the film was like. I recently watched Cujo (killer dog) , the swarm (Killer Bees). Can anyone think of anymore killer animal / insect films ? I seem to remember there were quite alot in the 70s & 80s but I cant seem to think of any, I know there was one about an alligator but cant remember what that was called.
I would just buy piranha 1 & 2 on dvd but I refuse to buy it when I know it has been released on laserdisc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
HippieDalek

PostSubject: Re: PIRANHA 1 & 2   Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:40 am

I've heard of one called Night of the Lepus which is all about killer rabbits...not seen it though
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://laserdisc.wikkii.com
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: KILLER RABBITS   Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:04 am

Night of the Lepus , Just the sort of rubbish film that you know is going to be really bad , so bad that they end up in the quite good and actually quite entertaining categorie. Thanks for letting me know about that one Ive never heard of it before but I will try and pick it up , sounds like its worth a viewing. Has anyone on the forum ever seen this film? I have had a look and even though it was made in 1972 I dont think it was ever released on laserdisc but I have seen it for sale at amazon on dvd.
BRILLIANT KILLER RABBITS Laughing
Back to top Go down
HippieDalek

PostSubject: Re: PIRANHA 1 & 2   Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:21 am

I think I heard about it from cinemassacre. They're always reviewing bizarre films that are so bad they're good. Worth checking out if you don't already.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://laserdisc.wikkii.com
laserkb

PostSubject: Killer insect/animal films   Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:06 pm

One of the best was a movie called PHASE IV (1974) about ants, not giant ants like in THEM! but ordinary ones with hyper-intelligence - it's definitely on DVD because I reviewed it for Amazon, but I don't think it ever had a laserdisc release. There was a similar film called BUG (1975) about fire-raising insects, again on DVD now, but I can find no reference to an LD. Others in this sub-genre on DVD could include FROGS (1972) - self-explanatory - and THE UNCANNY although that one features Peter Cushing and loads of demonic cats. Unfortunately, they just look like a load of soft-as-a-brush pussies so it really isn't very effective.

Then, of course, don't forget ARACHNOPHOBIA (1990), definitely on LD because I've got a copy, and you might consider George Romero's MONKEY SHINES (1988) although there's only one killer animal in it. You've guessed it, a monkey, but it's also on LD and in my collection - and in the Dinodisc Store, too!.

Do killer birds count? If so, there's got to be Hitchcock's classic, but the sequel THE BIRDS II: LAND'S END isn't as bad as everyone says. I know the director took his name off it and put "Alan Smithee" instead, but it's really quite effective and well-played - and there's a laserdisc of it in the Dinodisc Laserdisc Store right now!

Also, one of my favourites on laserdisc is NIGHTWING (1979) - this one features swarms of killer bats. My copy is NOT for sale, unfortunately!

None of these feature 'monsters' as such, just ordinary critters with a mean streak! I'm sure there are many more examples.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laserkb

PostSubject: NIGHT OF THE LEPUS   Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:36 pm

Yes, I had the misfortune to see NIGHT OF THE LEPUS. It was on BBC TV in the 1980s and I had a Betamax copy taped off-air which my young sons used to look at and laugh till they ached.

It had some talent behind it. Stuart Whitman and Janet Leigh were in it, as was old Dr 'Bones' McCoy, slumming now that the Enterprise had been mothballed. It was one of those movies that probably sounded OK on paper - how else would actors of the calibre of Whitman and Leigh agree to be in it? - but it just didn't work. The 'gigantic' rabbits were just ordinary flopsy bunnies filmed on miniature sets in slow motion. The poor things looked lost when they were supposed to be stomping on buildings. It was a hoot. The production staff must have got through a helluva lot of carrots and lettuce to make this stinker.

Yes, I know some corny movies have kitsch appeal, and 'Ed Wood'-type disasters can be so bad that they're good, but NIGHT OF THE LEPUS is just plain bad. There's only a Region 1 DVD available at the moment from Warner and they've made a good job of it, but a pile of dross is still a pile of dross, no matter how well presented.

Mind you, if it had ever been out on laserdisc, I'd have bought it!

Last edited by laserkb on Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Killer insect/animal films   Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:37 am

Hi Kenneth
Thanks for your suggestions , I have seen Monkey Shines which I found to be quite an enjoyable film ,although my son was really fond of the little monkey and he was quite upset at end . I might watch The Birds 2 next , I have been a bit put off by the terrible reviews but I suppose If Im looking for films with good reviews then I shouldnt be looking at watching any killer insect or animal films.
I now have a few more films on my wanted list PHASE IV on laserdisc , BUG & FROG which I have found were released on laserdisc in japan and NIGHTWING.
I think a new topic is needed "bizarre films that are so bad they're good" and i know just the film.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PIRANHA 1 & 2   

Back to top Go down

PIRANHA 1 & 2
Page 1 of 1