DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

bizarre films that are so bad they're good

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: bizarre films that are so bad they're good   Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:00 am

I do like some bad films and quite often they are so bad that they,re good , now from the reviews I read before watching it Jack Frost fell into that category. With my sometimes very bad taste in films when I read it was about a killer snowman I thought I was sure to enjoy it , we all sat round to watch it and by half way through the film I was the only one left awake, was I enjoying it NO but I felt I had come this far I had to see it through. It has to be one of the worst films ever made but then again it did make my laugh from time to time and maybe I was just tired , maybe I will try and watch it again sometime but not in the too near future. There is also a sequel Jack Frost 2 which is apparently worse.
In making it horribly bad, Jack Frost is entertaining although a little too long. And what more can we ask for from a B-movie about a serial killing snowman.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
laserkb

PostSubject: More bizarre films   Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:04 am

OK, where to start? Trawling through my LDs, the obvious titles would be anything by Ed Wood Jr. (particularly GLEN OR GLENDA and PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE), anything by Abbott & Costello (they have to be there because they were part of the last gasp of Universal's classic horror cycle), and THE BRUTE MAN (so bad that Universal disowned it and sold it to Poverty Row schlockmeisters PRC).

The horror genre regularly throws up king-size turkeys. You'd be hard pressed to beat BLOOD FEAST (Herschell Gordon Lewis being way ahead of his time) and Wes Craven's DEADLY FRIEND (1 minute of genius, 90 more of absolute tedium). The law of diminishing returns always applies to the franchise series so that FREDDY'S DEAD: THE FINAL NIGHTMARE is all but unwatchable (especially the 3D part!). Thank goodness HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION came too late ever to get on to laserdisc!

With regard to more conventional fare, you might think that ARMAGEDDON and DEEP IMPACT were bad but they are as Citizen Kane compared to ASTEROID (with Michael Biehn) or, worse, METEOR - and that one has Sean Connery in it!

Action movies can also be dire. Why not try Roddy Piper in BACK IN ACTION or Billy Zane in MEGAVILLE ? You WILL regret it! And let's not forget almost everything starring Jean Claude Van Damme - they're so cheesy, so predictable, so non-PC, and yet I love them. So bad they're good.

And even big budget films can qualify. TOP GUN, STARSHIP TROOPERS and VOLCANO anyone? Case proved!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HippieDalek

PostSubject: Re: bizarre films that are so bad they're good   Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:11 pm

Most of these suggestions are not on laserdisc but they certainly fall into this category but check out Tongan Ninja, Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter andSanta Clause Conquers the Martians
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://laserdisc.wikkii.com
The LD Hunter

PostSubject: Re: bizarre films that are so bad they're good   Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:59 pm

I just got FRANKENHOOKER gonna see how that movie is. Sounds bad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: bizarre films that are so bad they're good   Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:46 pm

Thanks to everyone for there surggestions , I have a dvd set Monster attacks with these Attack of the Giant Leeches ,The Giant Gila Monster ,The Killer Shrews . Has anyone seen any of these 1950s b movies ? I think the only one that was released on laserdisc is The Giant Gila Monster.
Ld hunter I would love to see a review for frankenhooker once you have seen it.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
laserkb

PostSubject: Re: bizarre films that are so bad they're good   Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:42 pm

To my eternal shame, I like to think of myself as an aficionado of monster movies of the 50s. I think I have almost every available example of this particular genre, mostly on DVD. Very few appeared on laserdisc apart from the obvious classics such as those on MCA/Universal's pair of boxed sets of THE GOLDEN AGE OF SCIENCE FICTION THRILLERS where you'll find top-notch stuff such as IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, TARANTULA and THE MOLE PEOPLE among others.

Of the three you mention in your DVD set, only THE GIANT GILA MONSTER has any merit, and even then the 'monster' is only a real Gila lizard filmed against models and miniature sets using process photography. However, the story's OK, the players do well, and the teens scream a lot. (They sing a lot, too, and in some ways that's more scary!)

However, the other two movies are dire. ATTACK OF THE GIANT LEECHES is dull, dull, dull. It COULD have been OK but is let down by poor production values. It's another in that long line of low-budget quickes from AIP. It does have the Corman name attached to it, but it's only brother Gene as producer. The director went on to helm KRAKATOA, EAST OF JAVA. 'Nuff said!

And THE KILLER SHREWS are laughable. They're just ordinary pet dogs with silly 'shrew' masks on. This was kiddie matinee stuff even when it was first released.

And yet I remain a sucker for schlock and will turn up every time - as long as the movie LOOKS good. Sadly, most of these genre titles passed into the Public Domain years ago and so any disreputable DVD company can put out a version taken from a Z-grade transfer and try to make a fast buck. I've yet to see a watchable copy of either 'LEECHES' or 'SHREWS', but thankfully Image Entertainment have issued a splendid copy of THE GIANT GILA MONSTER in their 4-DVD set, MONSTER MADNESS COLLECTION. I've not seen their laserdisc edition, hosted by Elvira, but hopefully it's the same transfer.

Follow this link for an Amazon review of the DVD set, written by yours truly. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Of the companion sets, I can heartily recommend the ALIEN ATTACK COLLECTION (it includes THE BRAIN FROM PLANET AROUS) and the WEIRD WORLD COLLECTION (with THE PHANTOM PLANET and FIRST SPACESHIP ON VENUS). They all look great, are well packaged (each film on its own disc rather than 3 movies compressed onto one disc which is what Retromedia does) and they don't cost the earth.

If you're after laserdiscs look out for the Ray Harryhausen classics THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS, IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA and 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH. There's also GORGO, THE BLACK SCORPION, THE MONSTER THAT CHALLENGED THE WORLD, THE CRAWLING EYE, THE DEADLY MANTIS, THE GIANT BEHEMOTH (rather poor, this one) and the ever popular ROBOT MONSTER (considered to be one of the worst movies of all time - it is!). They're all on LD, all from the 50s - and they're all a hoot!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HippieDalek

PostSubject: Re: bizarre films that are so bad they're good   Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:49 pm

laserkb wrote:
TIf you're after laserdiscs look out for the Ray Harryhausen classics THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS, IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA and 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH.

I can't recommend these films enough, especially 20 Million Miles to Earth, it's my second favourite Harryhausen film after the Golden Voyage of Sinbad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://laserdisc.wikkii.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bizarre films that are so bad they're good   

Back to top Go down

bizarre films that are so bad they're good
Page 1 of 1