DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Greetings from Sunderland

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Greetings from Sunderland Empty
PostSubject: Greetings from Sunderland   Greetings from Sunderland EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 10:38 am

Hi,

I'm relatively new to the whole laserdisc world, always wanted to get into them but never had the chance until a few months ago when I won a Pioneer CLD V2120D on ebay for the bank breaking cost of 1p!

Since then I've collected 11 laserdiscs, many from Dino Discs on ebay. So when Dino Discs invited me to join I thought I'd come along and check it out. Hopefully this will be the start of a fun community.
Back to top Go down
laserkb

laserkb

PostSubject: A white LD player?   Greetings from Sunderland EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 5:24 pm

HippieDalek, I am very intrigued by the image for your 'avatar' (what does that word mean?) as you seem to have a WHITE laserdisc player. I don't think I ever saw one of those. I thought ALL players were the obligatory black.

What make and model is it? Does it do all the usual player tricks - both sides play? multi-format? freeze frame? Most importantly, does it make a good cup of tea? If so, I want one!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Sunderland   Greetings from Sunderland EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 6:19 pm

Ha ha, yes it is indeed a rare breed of laserdisc player; white. Only slightly less rare than a white iPhone.

It's a Pioneer CLD V2120D. I can't seem to track down much information about it, what little I can seems to be in German so I guess it was mainly marketed in the European regions. It plays both PAL and NTSC, has a separate draw for CDs, skip/freezeframe for CAV, no AC3 or auto flip though.

From what I've read it seems to be from the "Professional line" but I've never heard of any other players from this line so I've no idea if that means anything good really.

All in all it's a fairly basic player, but I don't mind as I got it for 1p from ebay. Perhaps some day I'll upgrade and get one with AC3 but I currently don't have the room for surroundsound so the lack of it on this player doesn't bother me. The cost of players is what held me back from getting into laserdiscs in the first place, I think I ended up with a bargain.

Oh...and the word Avatar has many meanings, I think it originally stems from Hindu, but in the broadest term it means personification or embodiment. But on the internet it usually just means a user picture or a James Cameron film (now that would be one hell of a laserdisc!).

And now we know...and knowing is half the battle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Sunderland   Greetings from Sunderland Empty

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Sunderland
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES :: INTRODUCTIONS-
Jump to: