DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

BEST BOXED SETS

Go down 
+3
Darth Laser
MOTLEY1972
laserkb
7 posters
AuthorMessage
laserkb

laserkb

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 9:25 am

As boxed sets were one of the prime attractions to laserdisc collectors (at least to those who could afford them) I thought I'd suggest a Top 10 of my favourites. A laserdisc boxed set beats any such equivalent in the DVD field (although the Blu-Ray box of THE PRISONER complete TV series is a joy to behold). For many collectors, it was the boxed set that introduced the concepts of stills files, commentaries and "making of" featurettes and so many other things to the overall viewing experience. I know standalone releases often carried these things, too, but in a boxed set there just seemed to be ---- more!

Here's my Top 10 with the reasons why:
1. THE BEATLES ANTHOLOGY (a strong slipcase containing each of the 8 LDs encased in its own cover, just like a vinyl LP sleeve, but which when laid out flat together recreates the entire 'Anthology' montage. Very nice. Plus the program contents differs in many ways from the DVD release, possibly for licensing reasons, as usual.)
2. THE AFRICAN QUEEN Commemorative Edition (includes not only the LD in its own cover but the full screenplay in book form, a full-length hardcover book on "The Making Of The African Queen" by Katherine Hepburn and a set of 8 colour lobby cards (20cm x 25cm) which even look faded as if they are genuine cards from the early 50s, not repros.)
3. STAR TREK THE PILOTS (again, in a slipcase, not a box as such, but it's so smart, especially the back cover. A classy item.)
4. THE ART OF TOM & JERRY (not only because it has 10 sides of the most classic T&J from the very first cartoon in 1940 (when Tom was still called 'Jasper') to 'Just Ducky' in 1953, with many Oscar winners in between, but more importantly these 'toons are not censored as the DVD versions are. We still get Mammy Two-Shoes scurrying about and the regular 'blackface' jokes, but no one was offended then, and it's hard to imagine that anyone would be now.)
5. JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS (the PAL version from Encore in Entertainment in CAV - not only is the movie presented full frame rather than the cropped version you get on DVD, the extras are so wonderful, esp. the Ray Harryhausen interviews.)
6. BRAZIL (this one just has so much in it, I doubt anyone can access it all in a lifetime: the ultimate special edition, the TV version, documentaries galore and much more. It's from Criterion and is a benchmark setter for such things.)
7. NATURAL BORN KILLERS (not my favourite movie but here in a director's cut with over 150 edits restored, plus the set is so well presented - 3 discs in their own card sleeves, and all the expected extras.)
8. CLINT EASTWOOD: THE DIRTY HARRY COLLECTION (the 5 features are the same as you could buy individually, but it's nice to have them all together in a smart black box, plus you get the documentary "The Man From Malpaso".)
9. THE KARLOFF-LUGOSI COLLECTION (None of the 5 movies included features Karloff and Lugosi together, but it's great to have these Poverty Row classics given the laserdisc treatment. Roan, who issued the set, probably thought it wouldn't be worth issuing any of these titles individually. Worth having for THE DEVIL BAT and INVISIBLE GHOST alone, both totally bonkers movies. Great!)
10. MGM - WHEN THE LION ROARS (Haven't got time to see all the great movies produced by MGM? Well, here's all the best bits - the really best bits - spread across 7 sides in a 3-part documentary hosted by Patrick Stewart. If it's an MGM classic, it's here. The history is fascinating, though the end is rather sad with the sale and break-up of the studios in the early 70s.)

Honorable mentions go to:
THE JAMES DEAN 35TH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION
THE UNITED ARTISTS SCI-FI MATINEES (both volumes)
and THE VAL LEWTON COLLECTION (all 9 classic movies from CAT PEOPLE to THE BODY SNATCHER on 6 discs)

These are among the reasons why DVDs and downloads will never beat laserdiscs. These were products for people who care.
Back to top Go down
MOTLEY1972

MOTLEY1972

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 1:10 pm

i also have nbk and the brasil box sets but to be honest the ones i always liked and the only reason i have stuck with laserdisc for all these years are the disney box sets toy story the lion king the hunchback of notra dame pocahontas i also have the jaws boxset platoon the signed limited edition phantasm box set as well as a number of others which back in the 1990s cost abloody fortune cant believe i paid some of the prices but at the time it did not seem like a big deal
Back to top Go down
Darth Laser

Darth Laser

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:12 am

Being a huge Star Wars fan, (believe it or not - Darth Laser) - The Star Wars Special Edition boxset was one of the things that attracted me to purchasing a Laserdisc player in the first place. When I bought the player and the set (together I might add, love Ebay) It also came with a boxset of The King & I which is really nice, not my favourite film but the set is very stunning.

After buying the LD player to justify the SW/SE boxset, I quickly fell in love with the whole concept. So you could say the boxsets are the reason I collect, if not the thing I collect most of.

I bought a copy of Freddy's Dead from the US. Again not my favourite but it was presented with its original 3D scenes and 4 pairs of Freddy Vision glasses and a great artwork sleeve. Its a very cool set. It just seems more love goes into the releases than with DVD and BluRay??
(Although I have some great DVD boxsets, don't get me wrong - Amazing SpiderMan 67 collection/The Munsters/Evil Dead in the Book of the Dead sleeve/Doctor Who - The Davros collection to name just a few)

As laserkb says so rightly - these were made for people that care - people like us who are still devoted some 14/15 years after the format was considered a dead duck.

Playing a Laserdisc, certainly if I get out one of my boxsets is an event. I dont just whack it on, thats for DVD or SkyHD.
I make a brew, warm up my player and amp, make my front row centre armchair comfortable, sit back and enjoy.
Not just the film, but the sleeve and liner notes too.

My next purchases I hope to make are the Fantasia and the Jaws Signature boxsets.
Back to top Go down

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 3:55 am

It was Star Wars that always drew me to laserdisc too, and ultimately it was the announcement of the special special special editions on Blu Ray that finally tipped me over the edge. I don't have the boxed definitive edition, instead I have the faces releases.

I find this is a common story in people getting into laserdiscs nowadays, wanting to see the highest quality home release we're ever likely to see of the untampered original trilogy, but I'm always surprised at the number of people who praise the special edition box set...surely that's where it all began to go wrong? Though I guess they can praise the boxset without praising the contents.

As for me I've not really got much in the way of boxsets, just the three 1930s/40s Flash Gordon serials and the boxed CAV version of Jurassic Park. Both are devoid of any special features but I love the packaging for the Flash Gordon sets as the back is taken up with an essay about each particular serial.

I must say that from what I've seen laserdisc boxsets are just beautiful objects. At some point in the future I would love to get hold of the PAL Indiana Jones boxset (unless the censoring in Temple of Doom is done as badly as Abyss) and Terminator 2.

I'm also interested in getting the Criterion Special Edition of Close Encounters of the Third Kind (originally released in a box, later in a gatefold) as I love the idea of being able to program the player in a certain way to watch the special edition, though I imagine it won't quite be the seamless branching I'm used to these days.

Back to top Go down
Darth Laser

Darth Laser

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 10:53 am

I don't really mind the special editions, I sometimes get a bit baffled at fans who don't like em - I mean the originals are always there if you want to watch them - I've got them on VHS, LD and DVD - original and special edition - and the special editions are kind of like finding new rooms in an old house, the story is still as cool as ever, but you get a few extras thrown in - I almost just watch em as a directors cut.
Back to top Go down
nissling

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 12:46 pm

The Neon Genesis Evangelion-box set is the best of them all, no doubt about it. Try to find a nicer box set, if that's possible... Wink
Here's a pic, the Dvd-box set to the right is just for comparisson. That LD really puts every other box set to a shame totally.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You can see the content here.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
mc211177

mc211177

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 1:16 pm

That is brilliant i want one.
Back to top Go down
Darth Laser

Darth Laser

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 1:19 pm

That is amazing - can you please post a pic in my laserdisc sleeve thread - the artwork is awesome.
Back to top Go down

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 1:22 pm

A simply beautiful boxset, would have nowhere to put it though lol.

Does it come with English subtitles?
Back to top Go down
nissling

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:01 pm

I this thread was a competition, I would have won. Very Happy

Darth Laser wrote:
can you please post a pic in my laserdisc sleeve thread

Do you want some pictures of the gatefolds that are in the box set? Sure, I can fix that. Smile

HippieDalek wrote:
Does it come with English subtitles?

No, it's a Japanese edition. However, it isn't the kind of box set you buy because of the movies, it's because of the content. It's true that the box set is huge, but it fits nice on my shelf. Here's a picture of it with two other box sets and some anime on Dvd.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (Big picture)
Back to top Go down
Darth Laser

Darth Laser

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 3:36 pm

Yes please, I'm sure anyone visiting the thread would be blown away with that.
Back to top Go down
Darth Laser

Darth Laser

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 4:20 pm

Hey nissling,
just checked out your photo, the one of your LD's/DVD's on display and they look great,
is that like your cinema room or somethin?
I ask cos I'm really interested in making my own cinema room, and the cupboards look purpose built?

Sorry to be nosy - just interested
Back to top Go down
nissling

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 2:53 am

Darth Laser wrote:
is that like your cinema room or somethin?

Well, it's my bedroom where I have my Tv, LD's and stuff like that. ^^
Back to top Go down
nissling

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptySat May 14, 2011 7:26 am

I have to bump this thread. Take a look at this video that I just uploaded.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptySat May 14, 2011 10:49 am

[quote="nissling"]I have to bump this thread. Take a look at this video that I just uploaded.

great box set nissling , thanks for posting the thread
good to see inside the box and all its contents
Back to top Go down
https://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
nissling

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptySat May 14, 2011 11:27 am

Thanks for the comment! Here are some other videos where I show some of my box sets if anyone is interested to see.

Back to top Go down
Danielp

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:49 pm

I've got a Star Wars definitive, Star Wars SE, T2 SE and Star Trek Movie Voyages and really like them all. I think the Star Wars definitive has to be the winner (nearly as good from a bulk point of view as Wagner's Ring Cycle on LP!!), but the Star Trek is impressive as well.

Daniel
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyWed May 18, 2011 2:21 am

This one is not the best boxed set but it is rare , I have this one listed for sale in the dinodisc store and could have sold it many times over but it is in german with no dubbing or subtitles. The set is RAUMPATROUILLE ORION ,Raumpatrouille – Die phantastischen Abenteuer des Raumschiffes Orion which transalted is (Space Patrol – The Fantastic Adventures of the Spaceship Orion). This was the first German science fiction television series , and was broadcast six years before Star Trek first aired in Germany ,this short lived series has gained a cult following and you can certainly see simularities between this and star trek.
Raumpatrouille had a run of only 7 episodes and was cancelled due to lack of funding. Raumpatrouille has never had a dvd release and Im not even sure if it was released on vhs although there have been many books and audio cds released.
Back to top Go down

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyWed May 18, 2011 4:17 am

Admin wrote:
This one is not the best boxed set but it is rare , I have this one listed for sale in the dinodisc store and could have sold it many times over but it is in german with no dubbing or subtitles. The set is RAUMPATROUILLE ORION ,Raumpatrouille – Die phantastischen Abenteuer des Raumschiffes Orion

That sounds really interesting, I'd love to see it as it sounds like a great slice of science fiction history but unfortunately my German is pretty ropey these days, do you know if there's any fan subtitle projects or anything?

So far the only LD box sets I have are:

Flash Godron: Space Soldiers
Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars
Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe
Jurassic Park (It's just the film but it comes in a box...does that count?)
Terminator 2: Special Edition (I've got the one with the gold logo on the front).

I'd have to say T2 wins out of the boxes I've got.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyWed May 18, 2011 4:46 am

I have found a RAUMPATROUILLE ORION dvd on amazon.de
this is german without subtitles I think but there is also a download site for english subtitles
Back to top Go down

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyWed May 18, 2011 5:19 am

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check it out.
Back to top Go down
Darth Laser

Darth Laser

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:14 am

Recently purchased a few nice box sets - Godfather and Fantasia (sealed) also picked up a copy of the Exorcist Special Edition VHS which comes with a CD soundtrack, a Book, cards, Poster and amazingly they are all still sealed inside the box! I've also just won the coffin video box version of Bram Stokers Dracula. My wife is getting annoyed though as they are living in the front room until my loft conversion is complete -

Me: I can't put them anywhere else love, they'll get ruined
Wife: Stop F**king buying them then Darling!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 3:44 pm

I think this one is a great boxset
Back to top Go down
nissling

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 3:40 am

I don't know about that, sure that the artwork on the books is quite nice, but it's a bit lame that the film itself is identical to the standard edition from Universal. Also, just having the text on the box itself looks very boring imo since there is no logo at all.
Back to top Go down

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 6:49 am

nissling wrote:
I don't know about that, sure that the artwork on the books is quite nice, but it's a bit lame that the film itself is identical to the standard edition from Universal. Also, just having the text on the box itself looks very boring imo since there is no logo at all.

I actually like the plain outer box, the silver text on black looks quite stylish...but the problem with that is that it is quite overused and it can get quite boring when you have umpteen almost identical boxes sitting on your shelf. Even so it looks like a great boxset and I certainly wouldn't mind having it on my shelf.

However my favourite boxset that I've encountered so far has to be:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BEST BOXED SETS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST BOXED SETS   BEST BOXED SETS Empty

Back to top Go down

BEST BOXED SETS
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES :: LASERDISC CHAT-
Jump to: