DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Lserdisc haul this past weekend

Go down 
AuthorMessage
The LD Hunter

PostSubject: Lserdisc haul this past weekend   Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:39 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to go look at a large collection of laserdiscs that someone was selling. I posted my story with photos on my blog. Go check it out and see what I got.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HippieDalek

PostSubject: Re: Lserdisc haul this past weekend   Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:52 am

Certainly a nice haul.

I envy you, I had never seen a laserdisc in the flesh until I bought one online. They just didn't take off in the UK so I've never seen them for sale in second hand collections.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://laserdisc.wikkii.com
laserkb

PostSubject: Re: Lserdisc haul this past weekend   Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:09 am

Wow, that would never happen in the UK (I imagine), hardly anyone has a collection of that size. I love the way you've arranged it all in the photo spread.

I have a lot of LDs as I've said elsewhere, and of necessity they have to be stored on shelves with just the spines showing, but this means I don't get to see the covers unless I'm actually taking a disc out to play. I sometimes even forget what the covers of certain discs look like. The beauty of a smaller collection is that you can actually display it to its best advantage. There are even professionally made display frames to buy, custom-built just for laserdisc (or LP) covers. They must look great on the wall, especially if it's a home theatre room. Does anyone on the forum exhibit their covers in this way? (Show us a picture if you do!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The LD Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Lserdisc haul this past weekend   Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:39 am

Wouldn't mind having a bin system like record stores have where you can flip through them to see the covers when searching. But spine display is the easiest. If I ever move into a house instead of an apartment I might look for a different system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lserdisc haul this past weekend   Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:27 am

Great collection to pick up ,quite often when I buy laserdiscs I have to buy from overseas and pay expensive postage costs and customs fees that can make a relatively cheap disc quite expensive. In the UK good collections like that are quite a rarity with most collections being filled with common pal titles and very little to get excited about. I would love to be able to have the choice of films that are available in the USA and japan but in the UK lots of these great films are not often available for sale. I see you have Boxing helena collectors edition , I recently bought boxing helena from the US along with a few other titles ,all of them were reasonably priced but the postage was high and then I got a customs charge, any UK buyers ask the seller to mark the parcel as a gift with a value of £30 to avoid the customs charge , I forgot to ask. As for my purchase of Boxing helena I remember it being quite controversial on its release so was quite keen to see it and for the price I ended up paying probably not worth it for an ok film with a bad ending.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
The LD Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Lserdisc haul this past weekend   Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:43 am

Yeah it is rare here to but a bet not as in the uk. Custom fees must suck. Well as I get duplicates I may offer stuff here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laserkb

PostSubject: Re: Lserdisc haul this past weekend   Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:59 am

The shop I mentioned in the "Real Stores" thread (Picture Paradise in Lincoln) had a copy of BOXING HELENA for ages and couldn't shift it. It was a big boxed set version, I suppose it was a CAV edition, and I often picked it up when visiting, but I think they were asking something like £50 for it and I never felt it was worth that. I used to visit the store every couple of months or so over a 5-year period and the box was always there in prime position but with no takers. When the owners shut up shop and "diversified" I think it was still there as part of their unsold inventory. I've no idea what they did with it - it might have been returned to its previous owner (they used to sell discs on behalf of their customers and share the takings) or it may simply have been junked.

I'd read some reviews and I think they put me off, but I might have been willing to give the film a try if the dealers had dropped the price a bit. They wouldn't, so I wouldn't. End of story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lserdisc haul this past weekend   Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:13 am

If you did want the boxing helena disc then its in the dinodisc store ,its not the collectors edition but I would be happy to sell or trade if you wanted to see it , its an ok film but the ending is as bad as that in The birds 2 lands end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
bullruckle

PostSubject: Re: Lserdisc haul this past weekend   Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Great find there man. That would have been greet fun going through all those disc.
You say he offered the whole lot to you (2000 discs).
Would be interested to know how much he was asking for that?
I would think $2000-$3000 would be reasonable. No more than that though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The LD Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Lserdisc haul this past weekend   Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:29 am

bullruckle wrote:
Great find there man. That would have been greet fun going through all those disc.
You say he offered the whole lot to you (2000 discs).
Would be interested to know how much he was asking for that?
I would think $2000-$3000 would be reasonable. No more than that though.

You would be shocked... Sit down for the number...

$900. yes... only nine hundred dollars. Less than 50cents a piece, yet because I did not have an extra $400 he sold me the discs I picked out anywhere from $2-15

Stupid I know... I just did not have it. Period. So, I spent about $500 with him. Got about 100 discs. A waste, but still good buys for what we got.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bullruckle

PostSubject: Re: Lserdisc haul this past weekend   Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:15 pm

Damn, $900 for 2000 discs is a good deal. It a shame you couldn't scrounge together an extra $400. You could have kept the 200 odd discs you wanted, put the rest on eBay and probably would have made a bit of cash.

Still a great pick up though Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The LD Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Lserdisc haul this past weekend   Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:16 am

Oh I wanted a lot more than just the ones I picked out but I was being selective since I couldn't afford all. Another $400 and a truck or van to haul it off. Trust me, it would not have fit in my little jeep. Lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lserdisc haul this past weekend   

Back to top Go down

Lserdisc haul this past weekend
Page 1 of 1