DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question about English Japanese LDs

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Question about English Japanese LDs Empty
PostSubject: Question about English Japanese LDs   Question about English Japanese LDs EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 8:34 am

This may be one for bullruckle...

I'm thinking about getting a Japanese release of Stargate. Obviously the film is mostly in English but there are a few moments of non-English dialogue that are subtitled for English releases. Now I know that the Japanese LD has English audio and Japanese subtitles, but would I be right to assume that the non-English parts would not be subtitled in English as well as Japanese.

I've seen several subtitled English language Chinese VCDs where the image is mastered from film prints that contained the original subtitles for non English dialogue in picture with the Chinese subtitles placed above them so both are visible...I have also seen them pasted over the top so both are unreadable (not that I can read Chinese but you get my point). As of yet I've not seen a subtitled LD so not sure how it usually works but as LDs tend to have better production values than VCDs I imagine there will just be no English subtitles.

Thanks for any info.
Back to top Go down
bullruckle

bullruckle

Question about English Japanese LDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about English Japanese LDs   Question about English Japanese LDs EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 4:53 pm

You assume right HD. In Japanese editions of English movies, when there is another language spoken, only Japanese subtitles appear. I have Stargate, so I'll double check with my copy tonight, but I'm 99% sure you'll get no English subs Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

Question about English Japanese LDs
Page 1 of 1