DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Retro Duo (NES/SNES clone console)

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Retro Duo (NES/SNES clone console) Empty
PostSubject: Retro Duo (NES/SNES clone console)   Retro Duo (NES/SNES clone console) EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 1:58 am

With retro consoles gradually breaking down and becoming harder and harder to get I've gone to what some call the dark side and own a clone system; the Retro Duo.

NES clone systems have been around for a long time but recently the copyright on the SNES has expired so now many SNES clones are being release, the Retro Duo is by far the best. It is a combination of a NES and a SNES, so it's two great consoles in one.

You can play both NSTC and PAL games on this console, and even use expansion cartridges like Actoin Replay, it even supports the original SNES controllers. Unfortunately you can't use the original NES controllers, but if you're willing to put a little modding effort in you can easily attach a NES controller to a SNES plug, so problem solved.

As with any clone system there are some compatibility issues with the Retro Duo. As it is only sold in the U.S. it is technically a NSTC console, it just doesn't have any of the hardware lockouts of the SNES. Some later SNES games contained software lockouts, so some later PAL games, such as Donkey Kong Country, can't be played on the Retro Duo without the addition of a crack cartridge. The holy grail of these cartridges is the Action Replay Mk III. It's sometimes a little hard to get and pretty pricey if you're buying it from the UK, but if you can get hold of it then you won't have to worry about any region lockouts at all. I managed to get hold of one pretty cheap from Germany, as long as your German goes as far as 'Speil Starten' then you won't have any problems using it and you won't have to pay the astronomical prices UK sellers ask for it.

However even with a region crack cartridge some PAL games still have some small colour issues, but nothing that stops you from playing the game.

Even with these drawbacks it is still an excellent alternative to trying to find a fully functioning new console if yours has died. I was mainly a SNES gamer when I was growing up, but this console has also introduced me to the world of the NES, so I'm enjoying getting to explore a whole new era of gaming.

If you're looking for a replacement console, or just curious about retro gaming, this is certainly a console worth checking out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro_Duo

(The console also appeared in the new Simon Pegg/Nick Frost film Paul...I let out a nerdy little squeal)
Back to top Go down
list73

list73

PostSubject: Re: Retro Duo (NES/SNES clone console)   Retro Duo (NES/SNES clone console) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 2:06 pm

will my 32m wilcard work on one of these systems ????
Back to top Go down
http://btdpokerforum.org/index.php

PostSubject: Re: Retro Duo (NES/SNES clone console)   Retro Duo (NES/SNES clone console) EmptyTue May 31, 2011 4:42 pm

list73 wrote:
will my 32m wilcard work on one of these systems ????

I can't say 100% for sure but I think it would have a good chance of working.

Wildcards are the writeable cartridges, yes? From what I've read they were designed for Japanese systems but worked without any problems on US consoles and they even apparently worked well on PAL systems. The retro duo is NTSC so you wouldn't have to worry about that part.

Beyond that I can't really help you much as that's about all I know about them. I've read that they are quite rare and expensive so I expect most people who own the cartridges will have a genuine console so I'm not sure if anyone has tried this combination yet.

When I was trying to decide whether I was going to buy one a Retro Duo I found this thread quite useful http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22958

If you give it a go please let me know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Retro Duo (NES/SNES clone console)   Retro Duo (NES/SNES clone console) Empty

Back to top Go down

Retro Duo (NES/SNES clone console)
Page 1 of 1