DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Obligatory Collection Thread

Go down 
+2
SnR
The LD Hunter
6 posters
AuthorMessage

The Obligatory Collection Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 10:48 am

Since I seem to be the first to post I'll get the ball rolling with the obligatory collection thread, what laserdiscs do you own?

I have:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
The LD Hunter

The LD Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 11:44 am

Ya want me to list all them?

Well... Here's what I will do. I just finished clearing out my list to just post my JAWS, Disney and Criterions. So, here is my list from LDDB.com

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 2:19 pm

Nice collection.

I'm trying to keep the size of my collection down by restricting myself to laserdiscs I don't already own on DVD.
Back to top Go down
SnR

SnR

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 8:01 pm

Hi All,

I havnt got time to type them all in or upload all of the photo's of my covers but here is a collage of a few of them....

These are all photo's of my actual discs.

Have fun trying to recognize them when you cant see the title.

SnR
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 2:31 am

Wow, very nice.

I'm probably the only one here with a typable size collection lol.

I'm trying to keep the size of my collection down by not allowing myself to buy any laserdiscs I already own on DVD.
Back to top Go down
SnR

SnR

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 4:42 am

I have a few that are duplicates and some of those are scratched so Im looking at turning an old disc into a clock!

When i get chance to finish my database of them i will upload a link!

I see from your profile you are another programmer. Its quite funny as I know 4 other people with discs and players and they are all programmers.

SnR
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 5:32 am

Let's face it, us programmers are a geeky lot so probably part of the reason why we know about such an obscure format in our country.

I'd be interested to hear what duplicates you have.
Back to top Go down
SnR

SnR

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 6:54 am

not that many to be honest but ill have a dig when i get chance

I know I have:
Men In Black
Natural born killers box set (1 of them is still sealed and the other one to watch but it is one of my fav film)
12 Monkeys (1 copy scratched)

have to dig to find more

SnR
Back to top Go down
laserkb

laserkb

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 8:04 am

I DID turn an old laserdisc into a clock. It was a cracked copy of HOUSE OF DRACULA, if you want to know. A town centre watch repairer simply fiited a mechanism and battery and it's now a great talking point - and it keeps good time. Much better than all those old vinyl LPs that were turned into plant pots.

As for my LD collection, there's too many to list. I keep a typed inventory but it would seem like willy-waving to say how big it was. Let's just say it's into four figures and leave it at that. (Gasp if you really must.)

Last edited by laserkb on Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
SnR

SnR

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 11:06 am

The only problem that I have is they are so heavy and bulky to store when you start to get into the few 100's

How do people here store theirs

Mine are on a few shelves but im trying to work out how to store them better.

Also how do you find a film out of 100's, Mine are not in order which is why I am building a database to say what shelf and rough location along the shelf.

SnR
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 11:15 am

laserkb wrote:
Gasp if you really must.

I did

SnR wrote:
How do people here store theirs

I'm a bit of an ordering freak when it comes to my collection so it's got to be ordered alphabetically. Would certainly help if you've got 100s of discs.

On a side note the only collection I don't order alphabetically is my LPs which are alphabetical by artist then chronological by artist...though that's probably how most people order them.
Back to top Go down
mc211177

mc211177

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 2:41 pm

Mine is not very big here it is:
Saving Private Ryan (japanese version ntsc)
Courage Under Fire (ntsc)
Tomorrow Never Dies (ntsc)
Goldeneye (ntsc)
Toy story (pal)
Mimic (pal)
Independence Day (pal)
Godzilla (ntsc)
Clear and Present Danger (ntsc)
The Hunt for Red October (pal)
Crimson Tide (ntsc)
Apocalypse Now (pal)
Hearts of Darkness (pal)
Total recall (pal)
Commando uncut (ntsc)
Emma (ntsc)
Empire Records (Japnese version ntsc)
Star Wars boxset (pal)
Basic Instinct (pal)
Cliffhanger (pal)
Timecop (pal)
Last Man Standing (pal)
Event Horizon (pal)
The Quick and the Dead (ntsc)
Tremors (ntsc) (4:3)
Bad Boys (pal)
Scream Directors Cut (ntsc)
Armageddon (ntsc)
Die Hard 1/2 (both ntsc)
William Shakespeare`s Romeo and Juliet (ntsc)
Visting Hours (pal) very rare pre cert ld former video nasty

More are on the way.
Back to top Go down
laserkb

laserkb

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 6:41 pm

SnR asks:

How do people here store theirs?

Well, not wishing to advertise, but IKEA sells the ideal storage solution in the form of a bookcase (it's called BILLY) which has the perfect dimensions for laserdiscs. It has 6 vertical compartments, each holding about 50 discs - so 300 in the whole unit - for a mere £20. And when your collection grows, you can securely link more units together in a sturdy solid system. I keep my LDs in PVC protective sleeves to prevent shelf wear and they can get a bit dusty if not taken out every once in a while. The only drawback is in trying to transport these units home in your car as they're over 2 meteres long.

As for ordering my collection, I have to keep it all alphabetically or else I'd never find anything. A printed database helps, too, to remind me of just what I've got in the collection. I keep my boxed sets separately on a special tubular framed storage thingy that Pioneer sold, just for laserdiscs, in the mid-1990s. I ordered 2 of them, but they're not very sturdy. (They wobble.) I wonder if anyone else ordered one and still has it. I've never seen these show up on eBay or the like.

Last edited by laserkb on Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SnR

SnR

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 7:25 pm

To be honest i was looking at IKEA for the storage solution but its a tad difficult to get it back home on a motorbike.

Ive been thinking of putting them in alphabetical order but then what do you do with films like :

Clear and Present Danger
Patriot Games

These are clearly squeals but not in alphabetical order...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 7:13 am

Ah, I make exceptions for sequels. I put them right after the original in chronological order.

I also group all my Hitchcock films under H.

I find most people tend to follow the same rule of alphabetical ordering, but every collection has its little rules and exceptions that are individual to the collector. I guess you just need to do what seems the most natural and easy way to find films for you.
Back to top Go down
The LD Hunter

The LD Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 11:33 am

I use the IKEA Billy set too... I have 2 of the 8 and have them laying down.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 12:40 pm

That looks like a great setup, what more could you want?

I'm glad Shaun is there to represent us Brits and keep guard over the discs.
Back to top Go down
bullruckle

bullruckle

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 3:39 am

Love your set up there Hunter. The shelves look awesome.

For those interested, here is my modest collection:

Ill get a few photos up soon.
Back to top Go down
laserkb

laserkb

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 10:22 am

HippieDalek wrote:

I'm glad Shaun is there to represent us Brits and keep guard over the discs.

Great set-up, so compact. Having the units horizontal is great, saves having to reach up high. I'd never thought of that.

But who is Shaun? Not Shaun the Sheep, is it? Cos if so, I can't see him! (You can laugh deliriously if you want.) Also, you've got a black-and-white cushion that looks remarkable like a tropical fish!

Who is the guy brandishing something on your LD player? It looks a little bit like Evil Dead's Ash (the mighty Bruce Campbell) but I can't recall him wearing a shirt and tie. put me out of my misery.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 10:42 am

laserkb wrote:

Who is the guy brandishing something on your LD player? It looks a little bit like Evil Dead's Ash (the mighty Bruce Campbell) but I can't recall him wearing a shirt and tie. put me out of my misery.

That's Shaun (of the Dead)
Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 7:19 am

Yes LDHunter, those shelves really are the kind of thing that I am after. Sadly, after looking through the BILLY range at IKEA UK, it appears that that style has not prevailed here in England. But no worries, there are many other options to behad there....

I will post picks of my shelving purchases (before + after asap)

I only have a paltry 287 LDs, nothing like the 600+ of my friend Bullruckle or the 1000+ spoken of here.....but i'm getting there Very Happy

Thanks for the tips.
Back to top Go down
bullruckle

bullruckle

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 7:39 am

PeaceMaker1 wrote:
I only have a paltry 287 LDs, nothing like the 600+ of my friend Bullruckle

Not wanting to Nit Pick here DGTW but I'm actually sitting on 930 at the minute. I guess you did say + though.
Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 7:45 am

bullruckle wrote:
PeaceMaker1 wrote:
I only have a paltry 287 LDs, nothing like the 600+ of my friend Bullruckle

Not wanting to Nit Pick here DGTW but I'm actually sitting on 930 at the minute. I guess you did say + though.

That's more like ++++++ than just +

How about....Sorry, I had my keyboard the wrong way up..(? scratch ?)

This is it as it stands ATM, (click on the green bar to open the pics, click on the word 'SPOILER' to close them again)...

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 8:46 am

PeaceMaker1 wrote:
I only have a paltry 287 LDs

bullruckle wrote:
I'm actually sitting on 930 at the minute.

I've got 12!
Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 8:53 am

HippieDalek wrote:
PeaceMaker1 wrote:
I only have a paltry 287 LDs

bullruckle wrote:
I'm actually sitting on 930 at the minute.

I've got 12!

But rest assured that that is 12 more than most people Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory Collection Thread   The Obligatory Collection Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Obligatory Collection Thread
Page 1 of 1