DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cleaning discs

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AvanteProject

Cleaning discs Empty
PostSubject: Cleaning discs   Cleaning discs EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 8:48 am

In the year that I've been collecting I've never actually cleaned my discs properly. I've wiped the discs and covers to remove dust but that it. I'm just wondering what is the best way to clean a LaserDisc?

Also, does anyone notice much of difference between a disc that's just been given a quick wipe to a disc that been cleaned properly?
Back to top Go down
laserkb

laserkb

Cleaning discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning discs   Cleaning discs EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 10:20 am

I've had laserdiscs for over 18 years with a collection that's now into four figures - and I've never cleaned a disc EVER! I've never felt the need to.

Sometimes you might find a 'foreign body' sticking to the surface of a disc that interrupts playback and causes the laser optical reader to stick, but this can usually be wiped off with a wet cloth or a bit of spit and a hanky! I don't know if there's ever been any proprietary cleaning products sold specifically for LDs but I don't think they're essential.

Clearly, a poorly handled disc may get covered in finger prints, etc., but again a simple wet cloth will do the trick. I find the best thing is simply to breathe on the surface and then wipe it with a clean dry cloth. I think the less rubbing and polishing of the disc's surface the better. LDs are not like vinyl where dust can build up in the groove and affect playback - I think you have to be careful of not applying any solvents or abrasive materials or you will soon be removing the disc's protective lacquer.

Incidentally, has anyone else encountered those LDs from the late 80s/early 90s (often manufactured by 3M for Image Entertainment) that now feel sticky to the touch around the rim? I have several like this and they sometimes 'stick' to the inner sleeve, but there is no problem with playback and they don't seem to affect the player. I imagine it's just some of the bonding resin that has oozed over time from the two halves of the joined disc, a bit like jam oozing from a sandwich. I don't see it as a problem but I wondered if anyone has noticed this, and if they've ever done anything about it.
Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

Cleaning discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning discs   Cleaning discs EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 10:54 am

Yes you are totally correct in that how you handle your discs is paramount to performance.

I cannot say that I agree with your 'spit and a hanky' advice though. Saliva is a mixed soup of enzymes and I certainly would not want them on my Laserdiscs! I have, for delicate cleaning jobs including audio and video tape heads, camera lenses...and now my Laserdiscs (along with a soft cotton, non-shedding cloth) used Isopropyl Alcohol - sometimes called Isopropanol. It cleans well and will dry without leaving a greasy residue. I susally use two soft hankies, one to apply and one to wipe off. I dampen a section of the on-hanky and, working from the centre outwards, wipe outwards to the disc's edge. If you imagine the disc as a clock-face, I usually do it in '5minute' segements. Then I switch hankies and do the same middle-to-edge movement and remove the last of the by now drying alcohol.

I do not so this for every disc I buy mind you, only ones that are smothered in fingerprints. Thankfully they are actually few and far between, and it is clear that most of the folks that i have bought from understood what "carefully" actually means.

Once you LD's is back in its lined paper sleeve, you are good to go. General good care and delicate attention should do the trick from that point on.

You can only usualy get Isoprop Alc from a pharmacy and, you will have to say that you are using it to clean optical media, but it should not be a problem to buy. Beneficially, following these tips, a bottle will last for years, as long as you remember to put the top back on properly...it evapourates very quickly!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Cleaning discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning discs   Cleaning discs EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 11:15 am

I would clean with a soft cloth and a little warm water or you can use a plastic cleaning product but check that it does not contain ammonia before using.

BUT DO NOT

Do not use regular CD cleaners. They may contain acetone which is harmful to laser discs. Do not use general household cleaners, as some suggest. These cleaners often have large amounts of ammonia, which are harmful to your laser disc.

Although a small amount may be used to clean the surface of the disc, submergeing it in water will damage the disc.

Back to top Go down
https://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

Cleaning discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning discs   Cleaning discs EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 11:26 am

Admin wrote:
acetone ammonia

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!

100% agreement. Acetone is a deplasticising solvent which WILL attack any plastics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cleaning discs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning discs   Cleaning discs Empty

Back to top Go down

Cleaning discs
Page 1 of 1