DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

RARE DISCS

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

RARE DISCS Empty
PostSubject: RARE DISCS   RARE DISCS EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 11:01 am

I have just seen that a prince of tides criterion ld has sold on lddb for $250 , well my first thoughts were that it seems to be overpriced but on looking more closley I would say its a real bargain. You might already be aware of this but I wasnt so heres the story of the first release of prince of tides cc159 as told by jeff krispow a ld reveiwer.

I was an LD (and DVD) reviewer for nearly 20 years, and I received a copy of that real first printing of PRINCE OF TIDES directly from Criterion. Contrary to whatever Criterion's "official company line" might be, that first disc obviously existed, because several thousand copies were pressed. (I'll see if I can find my info on the exact pressing run.)

As far as I can remember, no actual copies had yet been distributed to stores. IF, and that's a big IF, any were, it would have been to a couple local LD stores, and they would have been easily recalled. But of those actual copies "released" outside of Criterion, they went directly to maybe 10 or so reviewers nationwide, myself included.

In what turned out to be a very costly problem for Criterion, Barbra Streisand had COMPLETE control of the LD, and had final approval. The entire project met with her approval every step of the way, and the disc was pressed. But when a copy was given to Streisand for the final sign off, she refused to give it — she was very unhappy with the way she sounded in her commentary track, and wanted to do it over. There were also a few minor items in the supplementary material she wished to revise. And since she had final approval and creative control over the LD, Criterion had no choice but to follow her instructions and start work on revising the LD.

Because of all that, Criterion "recalled" the LD, and all copies were ordered destroyed. Legally, none could be released and sold at retail. Of course, not all the copies were "recalled" and destroyed — we reviewer could keep our copies, and Criterion did hand one out to each employee that year as Christmas presents.

As an LD fan, from a collector's point of view I sometimes regret selling the disc, since there are only maybe 50 copies at most in existence.

I have several "one-of-a-kind" discs, where maybe 1-5 copies were ever pressed. These were either test pressings, or in a couple of cases final pressings with full covers. I even have alternate finished jackets for several discs that were never released (the artwork or designs had to be changed). Anyway, these titles/discs never made it to market for one reason or another — sudden legal issues, rights pulled/lost at the last minute, etc. I know of several cases at one studio/company where they legally obtained a title, or so they thought — they'd press a few test copies, or even the final disc, only to later discover that the "rights-holder" didn't actually legally hold the rights to the title(s) they were selling in the first place. Very messy... and costly.

Back to top Go down
https://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
bullruckle

bullruckle

RARE DISCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RARE DISCS   RARE DISCS EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Wow great story. If I had a copy of a laserdisc where there was only know to be 50 copies or so in existence, I'm not sure I'd be selling it on LDDB.com for only $250. Seems crazy low. Good fortune to the buyer though!
Back to top Go down
BeebMaster

BeebMaster

RARE DISCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RARE DISCS   RARE DISCS EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:48 pm

I wouldn't think I've got any "rare" discs as defined by a very limited production run or even not having been officially released, or recalled, etc. but I think I do have one or two which I would say are "sought after" - at least by me, judging by the length of time or cost to get hold of them!

Probably the "rarest"/"most sought after" disc I've got is "Dr Who - Revenge of the Cybermen", which is the first of only two Dr Who stories to be released on laserdisc by BBC Video.

I also collect LV-ROM discs, a special format of CAV laserdisc which was developed by the BBC/Philips/Acorn Computers in 1986 for the BBC Advanced Interactive Video computer system, commonly called the Domesday System. These discs have video and audio as normal but also computer data which replaces part of the audio track in certain areas of the disc. There are several titles and these appear to be pretty rare.

A slightly different rarity category is "errors" where some mistake or other has been made: I have a small number of these, mostly collected unwittingly. There are one or two which claim to be CAV on the covers but aren't, and various printing errors such as the wrong catalogue number or wrong certificate or mismatched information between the cover and the disc label.

The disc I'd most like to see (which probably never went to print) is the cancelled release of "Dr Who - Spearhead from Space" which was due out in about 1997 on the Encore Entertainment label but never surfaced. I'd like to know more information about that one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.BeebMaster.co.uk
Admin
Admin

RARE DISCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RARE DISCS   RARE DISCS EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 3:37 am

As far as I'm aware only 6 dr who discs were released on laserdisc and I can't find anything about a planned release of "Dr Who - Spearhead from Space".

Doctor Who: Day of the Daleks (1972)

Doctor Who: Revenge of the Cybermen (1975)

Doctor Who: Terror of the Zygons (1975)

Doctor Who: The Ark in Space (1975)

Doctor Who: The Brain of Morbius (1975)

Doctor Who: The Five Doctors (1983)
Back to top Go down
https://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
BeebMaster

BeebMaster

RARE DISCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RARE DISCS   RARE DISCS EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 5:27 am

Just found this, seems fairly comprehensive:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I didn't know about the Hong-Kong release of the 1996 TV film, I don't suppose I'll ever get that!

I thought I'd seen something a bit more official about "Spearhead from Space", with a release date and proposed catalogue number but I can't find it now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.BeebMaster.co.uk
laserkb

laserkb

RARE DISCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RARE DISCS   RARE DISCS EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 8:18 am

Anyone who's interested will probably already be aware that a laserdisc copy of THE BRAIN OF MORBIUS is currently on auction on eBay.UK, ending on Friday morning (17th Feb). It would be nice to see this going to a Forum/Who fan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

RARE DISCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: RARE DISCS   RARE DISCS Empty

Back to top Go down

RARE DISCS
Page 1 of 1