DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Upscaling via HDMI DVD Player... Help!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Darth Laser

Darth Laser

Upscaling via HDMI DVD Player... Help! Empty
PostSubject: Upscaling via HDMI DVD Player... Help!   Upscaling via HDMI DVD Player... Help! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 6:48 am

Hi friends,
got myself a Pioneer CLD-D515, only recently got this and I love it.
At the mo I have it connected direct to my 42" Plasma via Scart and the Audio is in thru my TEAC Amp,
I love it, pic and sound great, however...

I recently read some techno babble about putting the LD thru the DVD player to upscale the picture to HD.

I presume this means that I connect the LD to the DVD scart>scart;
then DVD to the TV HDMI>HDMI
turn everything on and press play on my LD.

Is it really this simple? I would appreciate any help.
And as a second part to the question would this work with my VHS too? Perhaps by incorporating a scart splitter/switch box?
My set up is huge and I have to have it cable tied and neat cos there is so much, so need to check first as don't want to start unplugging and recabling if its a waste of time.

It's not that my picture quality is bad in fact I really like it, one of the reasons I like LD is that the picture has a more film like quality to it,
not compressed like some DVD.
But i'm always trying to improve my set up and this would free up a priceless scart socket too.

I don't want to sound ungrateful before anyone has even posted a reply but please try and keep any answers in simple terms - i'm not really a tech head, I just like gadgets that work straight away and pretend to be an expert infront of my wife and her friends - they aren't impressed anyway so don't know why I bother...

Thanks all
DL
Back to top Go down
SnR

SnR

PostSubject: Re: Upscaling via HDMI DVD Player... Help!   Upscaling via HDMI DVD Player... Help! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 7:05 am

Hi,

Im not sure about being able to get the image from a laserdisc player through a dvd player to do the up-scaling but I have a line doubler here that i have recently repaired.

When I get chance I will see if i can do a quick review with possibly some images if i can work out how to do it. It does make a difference but its difficult to describe how much, One of the best things I learnt a long time ago about AV is use the best cables and try not to use SCART as the shielding within the plugs are almost non existent and the cable is usually awful. Scart also has signals both directions along with data and you can get crosstalk between the signals.

I always use Oxygen Free Copper cables and use the correct type for each signal along with trying to keep the AV cables away from power/mains/data as these can cause interference.

Hope this helps a bit and ill get round to writing my video processor report soon.

SnR (Ian)
Back to top Go down
Darth Laser

Darth Laser

PostSubject: Re: Upscaling via HDMI DVD Player... Help!   Upscaling via HDMI DVD Player... Help! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 7:19 am

Thanks for the reply Ian,
as I say, the pic is pretty good but I do use scart, there is a video out but not a s-video out.
So in this case would you suggest a HQ video cable direct to the video in on my TV? (by video cable I mean the yellow "phono" style)

In the case of the Line Doubler I have tried to find one for ages - I always get outbid on ebay.
recently had a chance to buy a DVDO iScan HD and missed out by 19p - AAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!!
Thats why I was trying to explore the idea mentioned, using the DVD to upscale.

What is yours - are there any you can recommend?

Like I say i'm not unhappy with my picture, just exploring possible improvements.

Back to top Go down
SnR

SnR

PostSubject: Re: Upscaling via HDMI DVD Player... Help!   Upscaling via HDMI DVD Player... Help! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 7:43 am

I have a few line-doublers but most of them are broadcast kit.

I have a DVDO iScan VP20 that has just been repaired. Someone tried to flash the firmware and got it wrong.....
I also have one from early 90's with a repaired PSU but it intermittently loses the audio for no real reason.
The audio has to go through to delay it to keep it in sync after the image has been processed which is usually a few frames.

the DVDO is the only one in use at the moment but I havnt had much time to play but I am quite impressed the way i can alter the aspect ratio and hide french subtitles on Leon (the image is shifted up and the subtitles are on the black bar at the bottom.)

As for using the composite video via the Phono/RCA socket it can make a difference with good leads but your TV will need Phono in.
Laserdiscs actually store the composite video signal and a player that has Y/C or Svideo only has separation circuitry within the player from the composite source on the disc.

I have a Pioneer CLD-D315 that i can test my video processor on when I get chance along with a 909 and a 919. The 9x9 series have a time base corrector within them and this may???? cause the video processor to think the signal is better than it is so watch this space.

I keep on meaning to buy an oscilloscope to more detailed repairs and tuning but its time and money....

SnR (Ian)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Upscaling via HDMI DVD Player... Help!   Upscaling via HDMI DVD Player... Help! Empty

Back to top Go down

Upscaling via HDMI DVD Player... Help!
Page 1 of 1