DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

HELP WITH THE CREATIVE COMPETITION

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

HELP WITH THE CREATIVE COMPETITION Empty
PostSubject: HELP WITH THE CREATIVE COMPETITION   HELP WITH THE CREATIVE COMPETITION EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 3:08 am

Not all our members are computer whiz's so I'm sure a little help would be appreciated , if any members can help by adding instructions on how to create covers or suggest any useful free software available on the internet that would be great.

Please reply to this topic with any instructions or tips.

thankyou
Back to top Go down
https://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
laserkb

laserkb

PostSubject: Re: HELP WITH THE CREATIVE COMPETITION   HELP WITH THE CREATIVE COMPETITION EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 5:18 pm

I, too, am limited with what I can do on my PC. No CAD software installed, I'm afraid. No PhotoShop or digital camera either. So is there any way I can 'have a go' at this comp? I've got lots of ideas for suitable candidates for an LD release, but not sure how to do an impressive mock up. Is there any free downloadable software out there? Any other tips for those of us whose computers still run on "steam-and-rubber bands"?

I suppose I could do a cut-and-paste with artwork 'borrowed' from Google Images, but I'm not sure how I could superimpose the required lettering or logos.

Please confine any suggestions to layman's language! (I've been reading the posts on the 'Laserdisc Technical Support' thread - and I don't understand a word of it! Still love my movies, though!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HELP WITH THE CREATIVE COMPETITION   HELP WITH THE CREATIVE COMPETITION EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 3:09 am

I'm not particularly good with image manipulation myself, I just learn as I go, but a great tool to use is GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's basically an open source version of Photoshop and allows you to do things like transparency, layers, stretching/warping etc.

My B7 covers were basically publicity stills I found on the internet that I modified by adding the program and laserdisc logos. I did a little bit of image manipulation to add some fades too.

For the Memento one I did the same, though I did a little more image manipulation involving rotation, blurring out existing text and moving the logo. Once I had the image I found a picture of a black, gatefold laserdisc and pasted my cover over it and warping/squeezing the image until it looked like it was part of the laserdisc.

I think this is how the Lost in Translation one was done too, but I think the Wrestle Mania mock up was something much more real...either that or he's a real wizard at photoshop : )

Check out GIMP, it's can be a bit confusing but there are a lot of good tutorials out there. Like I said, I'm no expert but after experimenting with it for a short amount of time I found I was able to produce decent results.
Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Good points everyone...but HD comes through like a champ!   HELP WITH THE CREATIVE COMPETITION EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 2:25 am

Thanks HD, I have down loaded GIMP and though I dont have time to test it right now, I will play, erm..sorry...conduct rigorous research later today Wink
Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Great Program, slowly getting the hang #1   HELP WITH THE CREATIVE COMPETITION EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 10:03 am

Thanks for the link to the GIMP program Hippie, I am now getting used to it and the thousands of thing that it can do!!! Here is an attempt at perspective correction for 'angled shots', this of my BATMAN - SUBZERO Laserdisc.

First the original at about 50ish degrees off the horizontal...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

...and the 'corrected perspective' one done by me on the GIMP...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's still very early doors for me and this prog but it is fantastic and its potential for me is incredible, as I like to create my own DVD covers for things I have recorded from TV, like the new Dr Who (until the new Bluray boxed set comes out, that is)

Last edited by PeaceMaker1 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added whom to thank)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP WITH THE CREATIVE COMPETITION   HELP WITH THE CREATIVE COMPETITION Empty

Back to top Go down

HELP WITH THE CREATIVE COMPETITION
Page 1 of 1