DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Orphaned Discs?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Orphaned Discs? Empty
PostSubject: Orphaned Discs?   Orphaned Discs? EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 7:24 am

Hidden away in one of the boxes in my latest haul I found the first disc of a two disc PAL version of In the Line of Fire. I've contacted the seller and he didn't realise it was there and doesn't want me to return it so now I'm left wondering what to do with it.

I don't want to simply throw it away as it is a perfectly functional disc, yet I imagine my chances of finding someone to pass it on to are slim.

With some of you having collections that go into the quadrupedal figures I'm sure I'm not the only one stuck with an orphaned disc. What do you do with them?
Back to top Go down
laserkb

laserkb

Orphaned Discs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orphaned Discs?   Orphaned Discs? EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 9:01 am

IN THE LINE OF FIRE is a great disc, both as a movie and as a laserdisc release. Which disc do you have - Sides 1 & 2, or Side 3? Not that it matters because it would be very frustrating to have only part of the film. And I assume you don't have the sleeve.

It's different if it's a double bill with the two features on separate discs. It's possible to sell just one disc if that's the one a collector is after. This happened to me with my Encore edition of HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN / HOUSE OF DRACULA. The 'Dracula' disc got cracked and was turned into a fetching wall clock, but clearly I needed a replacement. I got another full set which meant I now had 2 copies of the 'Frankenstein' but I managed to sell that one on eBay with no problem. I was upfront about why I was selling it and some guy bought it, saying he only wanted that title. So we were both happy.

Maybe someone out there is missing the Eastwood disc you've got. If you're letting it go in exchange for shipping costs only, you'll be surprised, I think, at the interest it may arouse.

Alternatively, it may have to suffer the indignity of being a plant pot or a place mat. Better discs than this one have ended up in worse situations!
Back to top Go down

Orphaned Discs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orphaned Discs?   Orphaned Discs? EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 9:17 am

It's side 1/2, I've never seen the film but am a fan of all the late Eastwood stuff I've seen (Gran Torino is excellent) but have managed to resist because as you say it would lead to frustration.

I might list it on ebay next time I'm selling items off...see if anyone is interested.
Back to top Go down
BeebMaster

BeebMaster

Orphaned Discs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orphaned Discs?   Orphaned Discs? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:57 pm

This has happened to me a couple of times, the first was several years ago when I bought my Sony Lasermax LDP-1500P which still had a Pink Floyd laserdisc in when it arrived, which I think was one disc of a two-disc set.

More recently, I bought "Harry Carpenter's Videobook of Sport Volume II" late last year, a 2-disc CAV disc, but only disc 2 was present when it arrived. I tried to ask the seller to search for disc one but there was a bit of confusion with the seller thinking that by "disc 1" I meant volume 1, a totally separate release, so I didn't get anywhere.

It didn't matter though, by one of those curious concatenations of circumstances, I'd bought another copy from another seller in the same week, as part of a job lot with 2 further copies of Volume I, which I already had! So now I've got 3 copies of Volume I and one-and-a-half copies of Volume II!
Back to top Go down
http://www.BeebMaster.co.uk
laserkb

laserkb

Orphaned Discs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orphaned Discs?   Orphaned Discs? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 5:54 pm

Ha! Great story, BeebMaster. I love the idea of one-and-a-half copies of Volume 2!

This sort of thing happens a lot with DVDs and CDs - one or two discs out of a boxed set go haywire and won't play anymore, so you have to buy a whole replacement set. What do you do then with the redundant-but-perfectly-OK discs left over? You can't even give them to Oxfam if it's not a complete set!

BTW, love the phrase "curious concatenations of circumstances" - sounds like it could have been a track on an early Pink Floyd album!
Back to top Go down
BeebMaster

BeebMaster

Orphaned Discs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orphaned Discs?   Orphaned Discs? EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 6:36 am

laserkb wrote:

BTW, love the phrase "curious concatenations of circumstances" - sounds like it could have been a track on an early Pink Floyd album!

Can't claim any credit for that - it's straight out of P G Wodehouse!
Back to top Go down
http://www.BeebMaster.co.uk
Sponsored content

Orphaned Discs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orphaned Discs?   Orphaned Discs? Empty

Back to top Go down

Orphaned Discs?
Page 1 of 1