DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The collection

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

The collection Empty
PostSubject: The collection   The collection EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 3:17 am

I'm mostly a NES/SNES collector, though I also have a good share of Mega Drive and a few Mega CDs.

I usually work from home (hence why I always appear to be on here) but I'm in the office today so can't give a precise list of games I have, but here's some pics of my collection I took about a year ago, it hasn't changed too much since then...

The collection 80332310

(N64 (Top Left on loan to me, not a permanent resident in my collection. Top Right Sega Megadrive II + Mega CD II, bottom left )

Top Left: N64 (on loan to me, not a permanent resident in my collection), Top Right: Sega Megadrive II + Mega CD II
Bottom Left Retro Duo (NES/SNES clone console), Bottom Right: PS2 Slim (Not really retro)

The collection 44122110
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

The collection Empty
PostSubject: the collection   The collection EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 2:31 am

Nearly all of my collection is for the philips cdi system. The philips cdi player was ahead of its time when released and it could play games,educational software , audio cds , photo cds, cd+g and vcd films a pre dvd film format.
If for no other reason then it is worth owning the philips cdi player for the game BURNCYCLE but there are other good titles on the system such as all of the american laser games such as MAD DOG MCREE & CRIME PATROL etc. Classic games such as tetris and lemmings were released along with nintendo licensed zelda games. If you have never considered the philips cdi player before then its worth a look.
HERE IS THE TRAILER FROM BURNCYCLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDL7bzKBc64

Back to top Go down
https://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
MOTLEY1972

MOTLEY1972

The collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: The collection   The collection EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 1:34 pm

i have had just about every games console going over the last 20 years or so i have sold most of them off at one time or another or given them to other family members the only ones i would never think of getting rid of are the snes and the neo geo
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

The collection Empty
PostSubject: collection   The collection EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 5:55 am

Hi MOTLEY1972
Have you ever owned a philips cdi ? , if so was it a console that you liked , it seems most people either love it or hate it. What is it about the snes that keeps you from getting rid of it? My favorite console is the philips cdi and I need no other reason for it being my favorite than Burncycle which is one of the best games I have played.
Back to top Go down
https://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk

The collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: The collection   The collection EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 6:15 pm

I've never played a CDI, to be honest my only experience with it is the AVGN reviews. To me it seemed to be ahead of its time; it went in the right direction but before the technology was ready. From what I've seen of it it seemed fairly unresponsive.

But like I said, I've never had any real life experience of it so I can't comment. I'll have to play one some day though.

What stops me from getting rid of the SNES is that it's the console I grew up with so it will always have that nostalgia factor for me. Plus even today I find the games just as addictive and compelling, and I still get a thrill every time I complete Star Wing!
Back to top Go down
nissling

The collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: The collection   The collection EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 10:43 am

I had a very big interest in retro games some years ago, I tried out all kinds of games and consoles but the ones by Sega has always been my favorites. I collected games for the Mega Drive, Mega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, Nes, 3Do, Playstation, CD-i and many more. Today, I don't care that much about videogames but I still have some left but most of my collection has been sold.

My one and only favorite in the collection is my European copy of Snatcher, but what's so special about it is that my copy of it is signed by Hideo Kojima (the creator of Metal Gear Solid) who I met in Stockholm on November 22th, 2008. Only the game itself is very pricey, but I can't imagine how much it would go for in this condition. Here's an old picture of it.

The collection 449-1227385643

And if you want to see when he arrived to Stockholm, here's a video about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_me923Wt7o

EDIT: Whoops, seems like Guardiana don't want me to link the picture right off. Well, here's a working link.
http://www.guardiana.net/Community/Collections/49

Last edited by nissling on Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

The collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: The collection   The collection EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Without a doubt Snatcher is the best game made for the Mega CD. The European release is apparently better than the US as the US one is heavily censored. Though even the European one is censored when compared to the Japanese release.

I've always wanted to get a copy of it but it's just so expensive. However another great thing about the Mega CD is that you can easily play ROMs on the console by burning them onto a CDR! Cheating I know but it's better than playing the ROM on an emulator.

Well done on getting the game signed! I can't even begin to think how much that must be worth now.
Back to top Go down
nissling

The collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: The collection   The collection EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 1:45 pm

Real gamers don't download their games, they buy em'. I would never burn a game, not even as a backup. Original is the only way to go.

By the way, it isn't called ROM when it comes to optical discs. ROMs is when the game is cartridge-based, to get optical discs to a hard drive you make a iso-image of it. You are allowed to make a backup of a game that you own, but you're not allowed to use it unless the game requires it.
Back to top Go down

The collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: The collection   The collection EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 4:53 pm

I agree that original is best, nothing can compare.

But when it comes to Snatcher there are so few copies available, each of them priced well out of my price range for now. I do hope to one day own a copy. With all the re-releases of mega CD games and the success of Hideo Kojima I've always been surprised that the Mega CD remains the only English release of the game, part of the reason it's so expensive.

I think piracy and retro gaming is a pretty grey area; whether the game is bought legitimately or downloaded won't make any difference to Sega as they have already sold all the copies they will ever sell, they won't make any money from second hand transactions.

Of course I have a very different opinion of piracy of current games. I think game piracy is killing modern gaming, not so much in companies loosing money, but with all the over the top security measures in place on modern consoles.
Back to top Go down
list73

list73

The collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: The collection   The collection EmptyTue May 31, 2011 1:59 pm

hi all

ive had just about had ever games console from the last 30+ years and a fair few ive still got

consoles ive got

nes
snes
n64
gamecube
wii
virtual boy
ds
megadrive
saturn
dreamcast
cdi
xbox
xbox360 ( with hd external drive )
ps1
ps2
ps3
psp
philips g7000
philips g7200
philips g7400

on the mention of the cdi
i also need to add that originally the ps1 was going to be the cd add system to the super nintendo but nintendo pulled out of it leaving sony with a near complete system ( which they fixed up and later released as the play station )
nintendo ditched sony and then linked up with philips to produce a different cd add on which was also ditched close to being compled ( which was later released as the cdi ) ( that is why a few game charcters which are nintendo only appeared on the cdi ) ie link , mario , zelda

in the end nintedo ditch the whole idea of useing cds and continued with the cart based consoles and released the N64

Back to top Go down
http://btdpokerforum.org/index.php
Sponsored content

The collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: The collection   The collection Empty

Back to top Go down

The collection
Page 1 of 1