DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

RETRO OR CUTTING EDGE?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
laserkb

laserkb

RETRO OR CUTTING EDGE? Empty
PostSubject: RETRO OR CUTTING EDGE?   RETRO OR CUTTING EDGE? EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 12:45 pm

I'm not trying to hold back the hands of the clock or argue with the advancements of technology, but I'm getting very frustrated with the idea that some tried-and-trusted formats, such as laserdiscs and vinyl, are SO obsolete that they can only be thought of as 'retro'. Boy, do I hate that word! (Which is one reason why I'm not attracted to a forum calling itself RetroFlix - it creates the wrong impression.)

Here's an interesting true story.

When attending a recent course, all the participants, instead of announcing themselves, were asked to pair up, interview each other for five minutes and then introduce their partner. This was to get everyone talking to each other. My partner was a young female (early 20s, I think) and I told her as much of myself as was appropriate, mentioning my favourite movies and music, etc. When it came for her to introduce me to the group, she stood up, pointed at me and said, "This is Ken - he's into retro!"

My point is that I don't believe these formats ARE retrospective (that means "looking back, regarding the past") - they are still as 'now' as always. Physically, a laserdisc is a very durable object. They were made to last. I've always suspected that my collection will outlast me. The same with vinyl. Even when records get worn and well-played they still have some value. They're not just digital datastreams that can get wiped from hard drives at the accidental touch of a button.

As long as working players remain, the format is, in my opinion, as cutting edge as ever. It's just the rest of the public that has moved away (I don't say "moved on".) It's like, for example, classical music. Just because Beethoven and Mozart are not current chart-toppers doesn't mean that their music is less relevant or has lost its value. To those who know and understand, it speaks as loudly to the heart and soul as it ever did.

Let those of us "in the know" champion the laserdisc. The format never let US down, so let's not abandon IT. (The fact that you're with this forum proves that you don't need convincing of that argument.) Most of all, let's not regard it as some quaint throwback to some former time. Laserdiscs are STILL HERE and long may they remain! Perhaps if we convince enough people of the format's relevance, some enterprising soul may start to produce new players - it's happened with record turntables. Audio dealers are selling more turntables than at any time in the last 20 years. The impossible can become the possible if enough believe it to be so.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RETRO OR CUTTING EDGE?   RETRO OR CUTTING EDGE? EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 1:07 pm

I'd have to go on the side of saying Laserdiscs are retro. My reason? They're a labour of love. First you have to get hold of a player, possibly spending quite a significant amount of money on it. Then you need to get hold of the discs, avoiding laser rot, getting the best release of a film etc, all the things we love but to most would just be a hassle.

The way I see them they are a hobby, something you have a passion for, rather than being current or main stream. And in a way that makes it even more special. Lets face it, we'd miss the 'bad old days' if laserdiscs ever made a comeback lol
Back to top Go down
The LD Hunter

The LD Hunter

PostSubject: Re: RETRO OR CUTTING EDGE?   RETRO OR CUTTING EDGE? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 12:09 am

I agree on the turntable side. Was just at a store where they had a while row dedicated to turntables. Its a store similar to best buy. So they had dvds, cds, but sold no vinyl. A whole row of turntables but you couldn't buy any vinyl. Thought that was weird.

it could be possible that a new player could come out, I find more and more people getting into laserdiscs now than I knew collected them in the glory days.
Back to top Go down
AvanteProject

PostSubject: Re: RETRO OR CUTTING EDGE?   RETRO OR CUTTING EDGE? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 4:30 am

I think LaserDiscs definitely fall in to the retro category, though I hate that term as well. They came out in the late 70's, were always a niche format, they're huge and when production ceased in 2001, that was it.

Of course I'm talking about how they're viewed in general. I still think they hold many advantages over DVD, even Blu Ray.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RETRO OR CUTTING EDGE?   RETRO OR CUTTING EDGE? Empty

Back to top Go down

RETRO OR CUTTING EDGE?
Page 1 of 1