DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ?

Go down 
+2
mc211177
PUMPKIN
6 posters
AuthorMessage
PUMPKIN

WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ? Empty
PostSubject: WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ?   WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ? EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 3:44 pm

I have been offered a DVL909 laserdisc player , can anyone let me know if this is a good player and what price I should expect to pay ?
What other players should I consider ?
I would be greatful for any advice
Back to top Go down
mc211177

mc211177

PostSubject: Re: WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ?   WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ? EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 3:54 pm

Get it,
it`s the one i always i wanted, laserdisc and dvd in one, great.
look here[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
laserkb

laserkb

PostSubject: Re: WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ?   WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 2:17 am

If you can pick up a CLD-D925 you'll find it's the bee's knees. It does everything - all disc formats (not DVD of course), both sides play with rapid side change, Digital Memory 'freeze frame' on CLV, HQ circuit, includes an AC-3 RF outlet - why, it even makes a good cup of tea!

When first sold (around 1998) these were the top-of-the-range and had an RRP of £800, but you can pick up a decent one for a fraction of that. I've seen them on offer for as little as 50 quid. There's a couple on eBay at the moment that are a bit more pricey although one of them has an auction starting bid of £9.99 - and no bids yet!
Back to top Go down
Icecapuk10

Icecapuk10

PostSubject: Re: WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ?   WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 7:19 am

The Pioneer CLD-925 is an awesome player, they were actually released in 1996 (This is when i bought mine and it still going strong) These also play DTS soundtracks via optical out and I believe that the DVL-909 doesn't. Leave the CLD-515 as it has no optical output either so DTS audio cannot be transferred to the amp either. The DVL-919 which plays DVD and Laserdisc does have the DTS feature. The CLD -925 can have some clamping issues giving a U1 error on the display to which the player ejects the disc. Reseating the disc in the tray usually fixes this.
Back to top Go down
AvanteProject

PostSubject: Re: WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ?   WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 12:38 pm

I've only used one, a CLD-V2300D. Excellent picture quality and it's built solidly. I will eventually upgrade as it doesn't have DD/DTS outputs but I'll never actually get rid of it.

I'm not too sure, but I've heard LD/DVD combos aren't as good as standard LD players.
Back to top Go down
mc211177

mc211177

PostSubject: Re: WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ?   WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 12:44 pm

A CLD-V2300D that`s built like a brick.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ?   WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 4:38 pm

mc211177 wrote:
A CLD-V2300D that`s built like a brick.

I've got a CLD-V2120D and it's pretty solid, sure it's been dropped a few times in its life, got a few battle scars, even missing the Pioneer logo. Still works fine, good solid piece of hardware. Though like the V2300D there's no digital out or AC3. I'll maybe buy another player in the future but this one only cost me 1p so I'm willing to live with its rugged looks for now.
Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Re: WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ?   WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 1:03 am

Icecapuk10 wrote:
The Pioneer CLD-925 is an awesome player, they were actually released in 1996 (This is when i bought mine and it still going strong) These also play DTS soundtracks via optical out and I believe that the DVL-909 doesn't. Leave the CLD-515 as it has no optical output either so DTS audio cannot be transferred to the amp either. The DVL-919 which plays DVD and Laserdisc does have the DTS feature. The CLD -925 can have some clamping issues giving a U1 error on the display to which the player ejects the disc. Reseating the disc in the tray usually fixes this.

I have both a D925 and a DVL-909 and they are both great machines. The 925 was my first ever player and was in my living room, but it is now the 909, with the 925 being in my second system...though I am sometims tempted to swap them back around just for fun Wink

The 909 matches the features of a 925 including the DTS out feature for Laserdisc. It will not, however, play DTS out from a DVD...for DTS from both LD and DVD you'd need the 919.
Back to top Go down
PUMPKIN

PostSubject: Re: WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ?   WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 1:56 am

Thankyou everyone for all the info
I now own a cld 535 and a cld 2950.
what advantages has the dvl909 or dvl925 got over the machines I already own?
Im also looking to get a surround sound system will any 5.1 be good enough ?
Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Re: WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ?   WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 5:07 am

PUMPKIN wrote:
Thankyou everyone for all the info
I now own a cld 535 and a cld 2950.
what advantages has the dvl909 or dvl925 got over the machines I already own?
Im also looking to get a surround sound system will any 5.1 be good enough ?

I cannot comment on the 535 as I know nothing about it. But the 2950 is a superb machine and will give you DTS from any so-encoded disc. It is PAL/NTSC capable, has a good solid picture, has been a fan favourite for years and will flip the disc over for you. But unless it has been modified to do so (as mine has) it will not give you DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1

The 909 and the 925 will do all of it without modification.

I should point out, you probably know already...but I was grateful when it was pointed out to me - to get DD5.1 out of an LD, you will also need an AC3 RF Demodulator to convert the output into something that your future amp will be able to understand. The search is worth it, ad LD 5.1 is rather rich and full and is not as compressed as alot ( though to be fair, not all) of DVD soundtracks can be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ?   WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ? Empty

Back to top Go down

WHICH PLAYER SHOULD I BUY ?
Page 1 of 1