DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

LATEST ARRIVALS

Go down 
+5
nissling
bullruckle
SnR
PeaceMaker1
Admin
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
bullruckle

bullruckle

LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 5:01 am

Picked this lot up this week

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Also saw a copy of the 6th day for sale at urabanchou so I was going to jump on it, until I saw the price was $799us. However, I went to look at it about 4 hours later and it had already sold!!!
Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 10:57 am

Nice, DTS ROCK.
Back to top Go down
AvanteProject

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 1:04 pm

Got the NTSC AC-3 Die Hard with A Vengeance a few days ago. It's awesome. Looks and sounds much better than the PAL version I have.

I Have also ordered the Uncut Japanese release of The Lawnmower Man, which in Japan is called Virtual Wars, and The Addams Family. Can't wait for these!
Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 2:00 pm

AvanteProject wrote:
Got the NTSC AC-3 Die Hard with A Vengeance a few days ago. It's awesome. Looks and sounds much better than the PAL version I have.

I Have also ordered the Uncut Japanese release of The Lawnmower Man, which in Japan is called Virtual Wars, and The Addams Family. Can't wait for these!

I have the first and third in AC3 and DTS....THEY ROCK!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 6:35 am

Ducked into a charity shop yesterday to hide from torrential rain and found a whole stack of laserdiscs for £1.50 each. I picked up Independence Day PAL and Stargate NTSC, not bad for £3.

There were plenty of others but those were the only two that really tempted me. They did have Die Hard With A Vengance which was certainly NTSC but not sure if it had AC3. Was also slightly tempted by 007 Tomorrow Never Dies...might pick that up if it's still there next time I'm in town.

Back to top Go down
AvanteProject

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 1:46 pm

A couple of days ago I received The Addam's Family (NTSC), The Blair Witch Project (NTSC) Virtual Wars (aka-The Lawnmower Man, JAP) and Death Becomes Her (PAL) signed by Bruce Willis!
Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: It's Been a While....   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 9:16 am

My latest additons...Click on the word "spoiler" to to open the sets of pictures,

First set of pictures...

Spoiler:

Second set of pictures....

Spoiler:

Really like the boxed sets, they have some minor edge/shelf ware but not enough to hold me back from buying them. I am very pleased with them all.
Back to top Go down
laserkb

laserkb

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 10:28 am

Those boxed sets are great, and yours don't look particularly shelf-worn to me. I have them both, but mine are really poor (they came to me that way) with split edges, scuffed corners and everything. Still the discs are fine and, I guess, that's what really matters.

I used to have those S.T. discs, too - in fact, I had a more-or-less complete set of The Original Series, but I let them go. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on them when you've had time to view them. They are early LDs, released about '85 I think, and they do reveal what stage laserdisc technology was at back then. My copies used to have a lot of crackling on the soundtracks, and of course they're not chaptered, but they do make a great collection. And your new arrivals certainly look to be in good nick.

I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Do you think you might be looking out for more?
Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 10:44 am

laserkb wrote:
Those boxed sets are great, and yours don't look particularly shelf-worn to me. I have them both, but mine are really poor (they came to me that way) with split edges, scuffed corners and everything. Still the discs are fine and, I guess, that's what really matters.

I used to have those Star Trek discs, too - in fact, I had a more-or-less complete set of The Original Series, but I let them go. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on them when you've had time to view them. They are early LDs, released about '85 I think, and they do reveal what stage laserdisc technology was at back then. My copies used to have a lot of crackling on the soundtracks, and of course they're not chaptered, but they do make a great collection. And your new arrivals certainly look to be in good nick.

I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Do you think you might be looking out for more?

More classic TREK? Are you serious? Most certainly yes. I saw all three boxed sets available on "Yahoo Auctions Japan" recently and they were as good as new, but the prices Shocked ...you can imagine for 40 discs!!!

I don't have too many at the moment so I have a long way to go, but I would eventually love all of classic TREK, and as much as is available of BABYLON 5, the release schedule of which was just bizzare!

As for TREK's A+PQ...Age considered and the fact that I am watching then on an HD LCT TV rather than a CRT the way you would back when they came out originally, I think that both picture and sound hold up remarkably well. The analogue does indeed give way to the odd pop and hiss here and there, but it never gets repetative nor above 'occasionally noticable' in my opinion.

Tell you what though, I am in the proccess of rearranging things in my 'den' (ie the spare room) and hope to connect up a 28" 16:9 CRT Phillips TV there to one of my 'standby' machines from the attic, either my spare CLD-D925 or my reserve CLD-2950 (with AC3 mod). When I get that in and suitably calibrated, I shall give you a more informed opinion.

Last edited by PeaceMaker1 on Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
laserkb

laserkb

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 4:47 pm

PeaceMaker1 wrote:

I don't have too many at the moment so I have a long way to go, but I would eventually love all of classic TREK, and as much as is available of BABYLON 5, the release schedule of which was just bizzare!

If you're interested, there's a very reliable dealer on eBay at the moment whose rather small laserdisc listing includes seven Babylon 5 discs and eleven Deep Space Nine discs, each selling for the remarkably low price of £6.12 and a similar amount for P&P from the U.S.

This link should take you there:

I've bought some X Files titles from them and they are a very trusted seller. I would recommend them without hesitation.
Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 12:43 am

Thanks Ken,

I have indeed checked the link nd they have some new and sealed B5 for only about £9 each and open for £6. Sorted!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
bullruckle

bullruckle

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 7:13 am

Hey my laserdisc loving friends,
It's been a hectic few weeks for me with a wedding and honeymoon and almost no laserdisc action to speak of, but it feels good to back with my laserdisc brethren again. Went to Hong Kong last week and was hoping to find a treasure trove of used LDs but alas, I only found one store that had a few, but none worth the ordeal of lugging them back to Japan. Anyway I pick up these 4 discs about 2 weeks ago, but have only now had a chance to chuck them up on to the site (still need to find time to watch the damn things as well).

Unfortunately none of them came with the obis, but some nice additions to the collection I thought. Especially the Beach, as I've been wanting that one for ages. I reckon its a great movie.

Good to be back. Now bring on the Laserdisc discussions! Very Happy cheers
Back to top Go down
AvanteProject

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 9:12 am

Bought this this yesterday. £16 including shipping on ebay.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It says on LDDB 'This LD release consists of Tobe Hopper's Remastered version, but it is still high contrast and color.' Does anyone know what the picture is like? I don't expect it to look great but I'd hate it to be all washed out.

Anyway, I'm just happy to have this on LaserDisc. It's one of my favourite horror/slasher movies.
Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Some FABULOUS Freebies, No Kidding, Cost Of Collection Only!!!!!!   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 9:35 am

After being contacted by a member from another forum, who was moving house soon, I was startled to learn that he was willing to give me...TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE...A boxed and practically brand new PIONEER CLD-2950 with remote and manual. It is not AC3 modified but it is spotless and fully functional. Also, a boxed and practically brand new PIONEER DVL-909 with manual. No remote with this one, but I already have a 909 so no problems there. It too is spotless. I have not tried the DVD function as that does not interest me really, but there appears to have been a region free modification been made, as printed instructions have been included in with it.

Also a part of the donation to my cause was some 50 Laserdisc titles. Now they were not all to my personal taste and some were repeats of my existent titles anyway, but I still ended up with 28 new (to me) films....

Spoiler:

Plus these that I won off eBay recently

Spoiler:

Last edited by PeaceMaker1 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Some links were broken during posting.)
Back to top Go down
bullruckle

bullruckle

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 7:09 am

Hey gents,
picked up this lot yesterday.

Tarzan is the last Disney film on LD and Jin-Roh a 2001 release.
Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 9:09 am

bullruckle wrote:
Hey gents,

Tarzan is the last Disney film on LD and Jin-Roh a 2001 release.

really smart buys BR, especially like the TREK titles!
Back to top Go down
laserkb

laserkb

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 3:27 am

bullruckle wrote:
Hey gents,

As always, an impressive looking batch, Mr B. These editions do look smart. But I've always wondered about a few things regarding Japanese LDs.

Firstly, the OBI strip - what's it for? I know that will seem a daft question. Obviously, it has all the identifying info for the home market, but what good is it to non-Japanese collectors? Why do some people make such a big thing about its inclusion? (I've had some with imported Japanese CDs and I'm tempted to throw them away, but I've been told that I mustn't do that - no way!)

I've only the one Japanese edition laserdisc in my collection - it's the Talking Heads concert movie STOP MAKING SENSE. As the jacket and the disc's contents are identical to the US release (copyright notices, film credits, sleeve text, etc. all in English) there seems to be no way of telling that it IS a Japanese edition - apart from the strip. But so what? Which leads me to my other point...

I assume that most of the LDs you buy locally have Japanese subtitles which, unlike DVDs, are non-removable. How do you cope? Can you actually read them? Are you able to ignore them and follow the movie? I've had two Japanese subtitled LDs in the past and I really couldn't get past this language barrier. (I can cope better if the subs are in a language I can read.) It wasn't as if the titles were below the picture (you could possibly mask them with a widescreen monitor/TV) but they were vertical (of course) down the side of the image. For me, this was too distracting.

Alternatively, for all I know, these LDs you buy might be dubbed, but I would imagine that would be worse. It's funny how dubbed foreign films were quite acceptable in the 50s and 60s (and still are with American audiences!) but they are anathema to most contemporary film fans. So how do you stand on these issues? I'm not being contentious or anything... just wondering.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 5:05 am

[quote="laserkb"]
bullruckle wrote:

Firstly, the OBI strip - what's it for? I know that will seem a daft question. Obviously, it has all the identifying info for the home market, but what good is it to non-Japanese collectors? Why do some people make such a big thing about its inclusion? (I've had some with imported Japanese CDs and I'm tempted to throw them away, but I've been told that I mustn't do that - no way!)

I think it originated as a way of identifying the product as genuine. LPs, CDs and DVDs all have them in Japan.

As for why they are collectable? I always put it down to the fact that they are so easily lost or damaged (they are generally made out of very thin glossy paper), it's just something else to obsess about when collecting.

That's my view on it anyway.

I've not got any laserdiscs with OBIs but I have an LP and my entire Queen CD collection is made up of the 2004 Japanese mini LP releases which all came with OBI strips.
Back to top Go down
bullruckle

bullruckle

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 7:47 am

Hey LKB,
Some good questions there. I always thought the OBI was used in Japan as a way of the having the movies title in Japanese on the front. 99% of western movies released on LD in Japan have the English title of the movie printed on the cover. The OBI provides a way to have the Japanese name on the front aswell. The OBI also usually has some info on the disc itself (chapters included, AC-3 ect), actors in the movie, and maybe a little on what the movies about.

I guess it's important to me as a collector because I want the complete package. If the original product had something, that when I buy is missing, I guess I feel I'm missing out on something. But to be honest, if youre not interested at all in the resale value of you purchase and you don't want the OBI, you don't really need to keep it. Though if thats the case, you could also chuck out the cover as well and just keep all you laserdiscs in a huge binder folder Laughing

Next, yeap all the Jap press LDs have subtitles either in the black bars at the bottom or in the bottom of the frame of the movie (actually, you can buy some LDs that have no subtitles but an English dub on one channel and a Japanese dub on another- but I tend not to buy these version-unless its the only version ie some disney)
Subtitles don't bother me in the slightest. I can read a bit of Japanese (no where near enough to read a whole film mind) but either way, unless Im actively trying to read the subtitles, I just look straight through them and watch the movie I have put on. I don't even give them a second thought. Might be cause I've had 4 years of watching movies with the Mrs (who's Japanese) with subtitles always on. I've just learned to ignore them perhaps.

Anyhoo, Picked up my 1000th laserdisc today:

Love this movie and was happy to finally find it for sale.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 8:06 am

bullruckle wrote:
But to be honest, if youre not interested at all in the resale value of you purchase and you don't want the OBI, you don't really need to keep it.

If you don't want them then before you throw them out it might be worth listing them on ebay for people who want to complete their sets. I wonder if there's a trade in OBI strips.

bullruckle wrote:

Anyhoo, Picked up my 1000th laserdisc today:

Well done! I'm still only on 21 lol
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 2:52 pm

Well done bullruckle on picking up your 1000th disc

I have no problem with subtitles when it comes to watching a japanese laserdisc , I certainly dont find it spoils the viewing experience. When it comes to the covers and the packaging then for me the japanese discs come out on top , I think that the obi adds more interest to the cover and as a collector I would always try and add discs that come complete with the obis to my collection.

No-one packages a laserdisc quite like the Japanese. Known as a culture for elaborate and excessive packaging, their approach to the laserdisc is no exception. From the visual delights of the artwork and packaging, to the content itself, you will without doubt get your money's worth here. The inclusion of the famous 'obi-strip' not only adds a uniquely intriguing aspect, but is also a great marketing tool for the Japanese labels.

An obi strip is, for all intents and purposes, a disposable item. It provides information to the seller and to the buyer about the item being sold. Once the item has been sold to the consumer you could say that it is basically useless although this is not strictly true as with other disposable paper items such as postage stamps and cigarette and bubble gum cards, obis are collectable items in their own right.

Back to top Go down
https://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 3:54 pm

Don't have the picture to hand, I will correct that tomorrow, but I have just received THE PRINCES BRIDE - Criterion Edition.

It just arrived this morning and was what I used my £10 compo prize on.

Thanks Jason and all at DINODISC Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bullruckle

bullruckle

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 5:48 am

Just picked up this lot on a trade with our good friend Admin Jason.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Looking forward to seeing a bit of Flintstones action Laughing
Back to top Go down
laserkb

laserkb

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 2:16 pm

Now I'm not one to boast (coughs, clears throat) but I couldn't resist showing y'all my latest arrival.

I haven't watched it yet though it looks pretty cool despite some negative reviews. However, its real significance is that, at long last, it completes my collection of the entire Roan Group laserdisc catalogue - all 58 releases (including a number of double and triple bills and one boxed set).

Now I will be the first to admit that there were a few turkeys in the Roan LD catalogue - it's pretty hard to find anything good to say about DRACULA VS FRANKENSTEIN or the two MOMMY movies - but overall this is a pretty eclectic bunch of titles. It's hard to pick out favourites but I do appreciate the Italian horror titles from Argento and the two Bavas (Mario and Lamberto), and the Roan boys were the only ones to issue decent transfers of some of those Poverty Row classics with the likes of Lugosi and Karloff.

But it's those other cult oddities that really make the collection stand out: titles such as TARGET EARTH, DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS, TWO-LANE BLACKTOP and THE TRIAL are so rare that hen's teeth are ten-a-penny in comparison. This title, THE AFTERMATH, and Marianne Faithfull in GIRL ON A MOTORCYCLE, were the last two to be hunted down in the furthest reaches of the laserdisc jungle, but I have them now. It took some doing and wasn't cheap (although I'll readily admit that most of the collection was bought ages ago at standard or bargain prices).

This collection is not on a par with Criterion or Universal's Signature Collection, but Cary and Toby Roan were mavericks and fiercely independent. These releases were labours of love - just to look through all those gorgeous sleeves (mostly gatefolds) is a feast for the eye - and this set is a testament to what can be done by a couple of movie fans with vision and dedication.

When I've had the chance to play through the lot, I'll give some feedback about the entire set in a separate thread. Here's the full list:

RGL 9632 Abominable Snowman, The: Special Edition (1957)
RGL9623 Aftermath: Special Edition (1981)
RGL9612 Alice, Sweet Alice: Special Edition (1976)
RGL9604 Angel on My Shoulder/Svengali: Archie Mayo Collection (1946)
RGL9636 Bat Whispers, The/The Bat (1931)
RGL9639 Bird with the Crystal Plumage, The (1970)
RGL9638 Blood and Black Lace (1964)
RGL9619 Borderline/Cause for Alarm (1950)
RGL9506 Brute Force (1947)
RGL9608 Christmas Carol: Special Edition (1951)
RGL9637 D.O.A./Quicksand (1950)
RGL9622 Daughters of Darkness: Special Edition (1971)
RGL9606 Dementia 13: Special Edition (1963)
RGL9647 Demons 2: Special Edition (1986)
RGL9646 Demons: Special Edition (1985)
RGL9507 Dracula Vs. Frankenstein: Special Edition (1971)
RGL9603 Edgar Wallace Collection: The Human Monster/Chamber of Horrors (1940)
RGL9628 Fantastic Planet, The (La Planète Sauvage) (1973)
RGL9635 Four Sided Triangle (1952)
RGL9618 Gargoyles (1972)
RGL9640 Girl On A Motorcycle (1968)
RGL9620 Gorgo (1961)
RGL9614 Great St. Louis Bank Robbery (1960)
RGL9621 Hitch-Hiker: Special Edition (1953)
RGL9502 Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers: Special Edition (1988)
RGL9611 Horrors of the Black Museum/The Headless Ghost: Special Edition (1959)
RGL9642 Ipcress File, The (1965)
RGL9601 Karloff & Lugosi Collection, The
RGL9626 Kennel Murder Case/Santa Fe Trail: Michael Curtiz Collection
RGL9631 Legend of 7 Golden Vampires/7 Brothers of Dracula (1974)
RGL9615 Mommy 2: Mommy's Day: Director's Edition (1997)
RGL9602 Mommy: Special Edition (1995)
RGL9505 Most Dangerous Game, The : Collector's Edition (1932)
RGL9503 Naked City, The: Collector's Edition (1948)
RGL9627 Night Tide: Director's Edition (1963)
RGL9405 Night Train to Munich (1940)
RGL9648 Nosferatu the Vampyre: Special Edition (1979)
RGL9645 Phenomena: Special Edition (1985)
RGL9609 Poverty Row Horrors: Mysterious Mr. Wong, The/Monster Maker, The/King of the Zombies
RGL9643 Pyro (1964)
RGL9633 Quatermass II (1957)
RGL9607 Rage at Dawn/Kansas Pacific
RGL9617 Room at the Top (1959)
RGL9624 Satan's Sadists: Special Edition (1969)
RGL9629 Satanic Rites of Dracula, The (1973)
RGL9630 Shatter: Special Edition (1974)
RGL9404 Suddenly (1954)
RGL9613 T-Men/Raw Deal (1948)
RGL9610 Target Earth: Special Edition (1954)
RGL9644 Tenebre: Special Edition (1982)
RGL9616 Trial, The: Franz Kafka's (1962)
RGL9652 Two Lane Blacktop: Special Edition (1971)
RGL9605 Vengeance Valley/The Big Trees
RGL-9504 Vigilante: Special Edition (1983)
RGL9501 White Zombie (1932)
RGL9634 X The Unknown (1956)
RGL9403 Zane Grey Collection #1: Fighting Caravans/Fighting Westerner/Hell Town
RGL9625 Zombie: Special Edition (1979)

Last edited by laserkb on Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added catalogue list)
Back to top Go down
PeaceMaker1

PeaceMaker1

PostSubject: My Latest From Japan....(Thanks Again AG)   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 1:44 am

A friend of mine sent these to me in the last couple of days....

Spoiler:

And possibly one of the best EVER things I have ever received throught the post ever!!!!!

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ARRIVALS   LATEST ARRIVALS - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

LATEST ARRIVALS
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next