DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DINODISC LASERDISC & RETRO GAMES

DINODISC IS A FORUM FOR COLLECTORS TO CHAT , BUY AND SELL LASERDISCS & RETRO GAMES

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

DESERT ISLAND LASERDISCS

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
laserkb

laserkb

DESERT ISLAND LASERDISCS Empty
PostSubject: DESERT ISLAND LASERDISCS   DESERT ISLAND LASERDISCS EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 5:44 pm

The other day I was watching footage of the 1991 Oscar ceremony in which Ray Harryhausen was being given a special award for his lifetime's work. Host Tom Hanks made this memorable statement:

"Some say CITIZEN KANE. Others say CASABLANCA. I say...JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS!" (laughter and applause all round.)

This got me thinking because I find myself playing the latter movie probably more often than any others, and I wondered which other discs I'd take if stranded on my desert island. The point is, not which are the best pieces of cinema ever made, but which ones do we play more than any others? Here are my 8 most played LDs (in no particular order) - there MUST be something special about them, though I couldn't say what.

JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS
KING KONG (1933)
HAROLD AND MAUDE
FRANKENSTEIN (1931)
DRACULA, PRINCE OF DARKNESS
2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY
PETER GABRIEL: SECRET WORLD LIVE
DOCTOR X (1933)

However, I have one disc that has probably been played more times than all the above put together. When my grand-daughter visits she always asks to see SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS. If a laserdisc could get worn out, this one would be!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

DESERT ISLAND LASERDISCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DESERT ISLAND LASERDISCS   DESERT ISLAND LASERDISCS EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 8:01 am

I would choose films with soundtracks that I like so I would have something to listen to.

The Lion King would be one of them , I never thought much of Elton John but this film and my wife converted me.
I would have to have an Ennio Morricone so Once upon a time in the West or The good the bad and the ugly.
I was brought up on Star Wars so I would like the trilogy to take me back to my childhood.
A Tarantino film so pulp fiction or jackie brown both have great soundtracks.
then some music discs Ray Charles genius of soul / U2 Unforgettable fire / Stevie Wonder songs in the key of life / pavarotti and friends.
Back to top Go down
https://dinodisc.forumotion.co.uk

DESERT ISLAND LASERDISCS
Page 1 of 1